riding season

Plymouthy Adams

I have been out on my trusty Raleigh but this showed up on a local trader site.....I picked it up just because it was complete well rounded component wise....I will have to find a tall rider as this is a 27 inch bike frame as is obvious if you just look at the head stock......as found, no cleaning up yet

IMG_1998.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, ryanpernia said:

Nice bike frame. I sort of miss riding a bike. I've been in a sedentary lifestyle for years. 

I had to look that word up. Learn something every day

5 hours ago, ryanpernia said:

Nice bike frame. I sort of miss riding a bike. I've been in a sedentary lifestyle for years. 

not good for you overall health......if you liked riding a bit in the past, get yourself an older vintage bike well heeled and rebuild it.  that will get you puttering about enough to work into short rides when the bike is finished.  Get  you off the couch and moving if nothing else.  Spring is upon us....no time like the present to get active

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 4:16 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have been out on my trusty Raleigh but this showed up on a local trader site.....I picked it up just because it was complete well rounded component wise....I will have to find a tall rider as this is a 27 inch bike frame as is obvious if you just look at the head stock......as found, no cleaning up yet

IMG_1998.JPG

Quite the contrast from my wife's bike that is so short there wasn't room for that style of water bottle holder.

alas,  my wife also does not have the 37 inch minimum inseam required to straddle the top rail flat footed.....this is the first tall frame bike I recall ever being close to...just for the record, it is a 1984 Schwinn World Sport with 27' frame with excellent components of the era...Chromalloy lightweight frame...very light bike for its size... 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

8 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

alas,  my wife also does not have the 37 inch minimum inseam required to straddle the top rail flat footed.....this is the first tall frame bike I recall ever being close to...just for the record, it is a 1984 Schwinn World Sport with 27' frame with excellent components of the era...Chromalloy lightweight frame...very light bike for its size... 

Didn't know they made any such thing as a tall frame bike.  I'm 6'4" and use to everything being too darned small.  I like the idea of it.

I have a Schwinn World Sport that I bought new in the late 70's when I was in middle school. It has a normal frame. Not that tall. I put thousands of miles on it, through middle school and early high school, until I got my driver's license. I haven't ridden it in years not, and it likely would need a fair bit of attention to be road worthy again.

I still have the Flandria 10 speed 27" racing bike I bought from my Freshman college roommate at the end of the school year in 1975.  (It was one year old at the time.)  I have replaced both tires, and one tube, and wore out the chain as well.  (He had already replaced the seat, as it had one of those really narrow hard ones on it originally.  I finally got one of those "old man" seats made for kindness to the prostate.  I'm 62, and have to see the doc about it every 6 months or a year, sometimes it's been every 3 months.)  It is also a tall frame - I'd have to measure it to be able to say. 

But last year I bought a used 18 speed with the higher handlebars.  My wife has a multi-speed bike as well, and we take them along on our church group camping week-end every summer.  We don't get out with them very much otherwise, but they have quite a few miles of bike trails here - Rails to Trails.  These bike paths follow the rail way line that has been abandoned.  Most of this is for bikes & walking only, but parts are open to horse drawn vehicles, and the Amish use them quite a bit, to stay off of the highway.  There is an access point right at the local WallyWorld, so there is a good deal of buggy traffic there. (Horse piles, too, of course.)

Been riding bicycles as long as I can remember, and I remember learning to ride them when we lived in Dallas as wee tots...a loooong time ago.  One kind or another from those nifty "spider bikes", through 10-speed road bikes, mountain bikes, cruisers, beach cruisers, mountain bikes, etc.  I/we have always had bicycles of some sort.  We'll go through spells when we don't ride much, like when we lived in El Paso, where it was not bicycle friendly and was way too dangerous traffic-wise to ride, besides, couldn't keep air in the tires, too many stickers of varying types.  NM was OK, but too many stickers there, too.  Bought foam tires once, but they made the bike way to heavy.  Since moving up north, we don't ride in the winter (duh).  The missus and I bought matching Schwinn classic cruisers when we lived in Michigan, most bicycle friendly location we've lived in so far.  Most comfortable bicycles we've ever owned, too, but not very practical other than pleasure riding on relatively flat trails and roads.  Started riding to work when we lived in western NY, but that cruiser was a bear going over the Grand Island bridges, so picked up a "hybrid" that I ride more often than not, now - with the old-man-seat "upgrade".  Northern Maine isn't very practical for bike riding, very few trails - that you have to deal with ATVs on, and no room for bicycles on most roads, although there really isn't any "traffic" to speak of.  But I still get out as often as I can.  May be time to try "fat-biking", which is the only kind of bike we haven't tried. 

I have a hybrid bicycle as well.

I ride to work as much as possible, weather permitting.

Usually April 1 to November 1, bus in winter.

About 3.5 miles each way, mostly trails.

At 7 miles per day I average about 700 to 800 miles a season.

Parking where I work is about $80 a month, that money goes in my "Toy" account.