First foray into the classic Mopar world ... 49 meadowbrook

Dale Gribble

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a one family owned since new 1949 dodge Meadowbrook .  Car was garage since 1991, when it was driven in , parked and the owner died several weeks later .  Fast forward to nine months ago when the garage fell down around the car .  The family called me and told me that the property was getting ready to be up for sale and asked me if I would like to purchase the car.  After a couple days of haggling I am now the proud owner of an all original 49 dodge ..... And  that's where the fun begins . 

The car has not been started in years.  The radiator was removed, presumably by some thieves .  I sourced another one, but before I put it in I would like to see if the motor turns over. I do not see a typical crank nut like I'm used to seeing on the General Motors cars I'm used to working on .  I'm curious as to what I should do to manually see if the engine turns over before I put a battery in. I have already remove the spark plugs and shot a little oil down the cylinders . Plug them selves look to be in decent shape . I have a decent working mechanical knowledge and a full set of tools. This is just the oldest car I've ever owned. And the first old flathead ever . Want to do the basics to make it run , then I'll figure out the "go" and "stop" parts ... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Dale Gribble
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

by your photo...the crank nut is there...these just be a tad on the hefty side is all.....source yourself a socket at a flea market of pawn shop for a piddling amount compared to new cost...

Happen to know the size of said socket  ?? I was expecting a bolt to go inside that hole in the center . 

with the starting jaw, 1 13/16  without 1 11/16     The hole in the middle goes nowhere , does nothing.

You can buy the socket at a Tractor Supply Company store chain, or a Menards at a great price.  I got both sockets for cheap at the TSC....

I want to say that I bought them for around 10 bucks each a couple of years ago....

I cannot see what harm would be done, if the cylinders are oiled up, to put a battery in it and turn it with the starter.  

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

I cannot see what harm would be done, if the cylinders are oiled up, to put a battery in it and turn it with the starter.  

The wiring is such a mess. All of the cloth cover is damaged on the wiring. I've almost contemplating doing a standalone starting system temporarily that would completely isolate the rest of the vehicle to prevent any shorts or fires .  I really want to see this thing start up .  I would really hate to see it burn down ....  Getting ready to head outside now and see if I can manually turn the engine over ... 

12 minutes ago, casper50 said:

the stand alone starting system is most likely a very good idea Dale.

I agree with that also and I would add that you put the fuel system on a similar setup as in an IV drip if you get my drift..this will rule out plugged tank, any tank filter, the fuel lines and inline filters, the fuel pump and any possibility of sucking air in between....

if your test proves the engine sound to proceed..then return to these external systems and bring them up to date.

• Like 1

I had the chance to throw a wrench  on the crank ... Spins over like a champ! I guess the next step is isolating the electrical from the remainder of the car . Any idea where to start ? Knowing it's a 6v pos ground system , is there any harm is using 12v simply for starting purposes, or am I stuck buying a new battery  ? I'm already planning a gravity feed fuel system for startup . Again , I have a excellent working knowledge of vehicles , and a full set of tools , just never had a 6v 1940's anything before .... 

6 minutes ago, Frank Elder said:

You can spin the starter on 12v, make sure your radio heater and wipers are turned off so they don't get fried but save yourself the headache and but a 6v battery and do it right. 12v might bonfire that ratty old wiring.

That is why I wish to isolate the engine from the remainder of the car for testing / tuning ... 

I'd try cranking with the frayed wiring just to try to crank it. I've done dozens this way just to quick see if it will crank. Why waste a 1/2 day to make sure it does not smoke... which it won't!

Then try the key crank for spark.... if none do the points thing ( Volt meter/file them) then try for spark upon cranking....if none recheck and then hot wire the coil... it should spark as long as the coil is OK with a good battery and wire connections.

Get er running the re-wire.