Topping up gearbox oil

Kiwicranbrook

Can someone please tell me where to top up the gearbox oil on my 52 cranbrook 3 speed? And do I fill to the top? My trans has got quite a leak so I figured I better top it up again. (I know I should fix the leak haha I'll get to that another day)

Listen to Plymouthy........lol.............from memory the oil listed to use won't affect the synchro's which is why he indicated the GL1 and from my 46-54 Plymouth shop manual it takes 2 & 3/4 pints(US)...........havn't you got a shop manual?..............andyd 

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Ive used GL 4 for years in truck trans no ill effects.

Try and find GL1 around here.

20180119_074333_resized_1.jpg

Gotta agree here. I've had GL4/5 in my truck since day 1 and it still shifts the same as it did when I built it. The bottle does call out that it is safe for manual transmissions

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Heres what im gonna use

20180317_080509_resized.jpg

That can looks so old it is probably GL1:)

In my '38 Dodge I have been using what George Ashe recommended. Amsoil full synthetic Diesel 15-40W motor oil. He said that it has good adhesion to the gears in their testing and is safe for the white metals. I figure he should know as he rebuilds these transmissions.

It is quite different than the 90W winter and 160W summer the owners manual calls for.

90W GL1 is available from Napa if you are looking for it.

the GL1 I bought locally at NAPA for less than 14.00 for the gallon....you will pay more than that for the GL5 and get just 1/2 gallon if you lucky to get full quart containers...economically...you got a win...the oil was designed for the very tranny you have...another win...you leaking oil at a fast rate...loss all around..they are just to simple to drop and seal up

28 minutes ago, 1949 Goat said:

That can looks so old it is probably GL1:)

In my '38 Dodge I have been using what George Ashe recommended. Amsoil full synthetic Diesel 15-40W motor oil. He said that it has good adhesion to the gears in their testing and is safe for the white metals. I figure he should know as he rebuilds these transmissions.

It is quite different than the 90W winter and 160W summer the owners manual calls for.

90W GL1 is available from Napa if you are looking for it.

That might be fine in the R10 overdrive.

I could use 50 weight oil.

I found  a source for GL 1 nearby.

NAPA Canada does not stock all they  do in US stores.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Gotta agree here. I've had GL4/5 in my truck since day 1 and it still shifts the same as it did when I built it. The bottle does call out that it is safe for manual transmissions

I have too without ruining tbe brass.

Wonder if the sulphur content varies in brands etc.

Is this the same as, oh you should run non detergent 30 weight oil only in those old flatheads ?

12 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

oil fill is on the side of the transmission....remove plug and add GL1 till it just runs out of hole.  DO NOT use GL4/5 rated oil.

Is it the white metal synchronizer stop rings that are affected? How about the brass stop rings in the earlier transmissions? Any other information GL! versus GL4/5  would be helpful. I had a brass second gear stop ring fail suddenly and completely in my '49 transmission last summer - is this the result of the wrong oil? I replaced the stop rings and it shifts great, but I'm afraid of what's in the transmission now.

10 minutes ago, rekbender said:

Is it the white metal synchronizer stop rings that are affected? How about the brass stop rings in the earlier transmissions? Any other information GL! versus GL4/5  would be helpful. I had a brass second gear stop ring fail suddenly and completely in my '49 transmission last summer - is this the result of the wrong oil? I replaced the stop rings and it shifts great, but I'm afraid of what's in the transmission now.

Just drain and  fill with GL 1 if you need piece of mind.

Like Ed and I said we both used the modern type GL4/5 with no ill effects.

Mine has had GL 5 for 6 years as I didnt know any better.

We dont need a  " trans gear oil mass hysteria"....lol

20180119_074333_resized_1.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

GL-4 is spec for use with yellow metals in more modern vehicles, so it 'should' be ok. Oils spec for GL4 AND GL5 only hold the GL-4 spec for use in differentials. Read the bottle and it excludes transmissions due to the yellow metals.. My JDM Suzuki mini truck requires 75W90 GL-4 in the transmission due to bronze syncro's and that stuff was $60/ gallon since Redline is one of only a couple that still make it.

GL-1 is ready available at many places, but not the places you think to look.. The Ford N series tractors spec GL1 90W, and oil for them can be found at almost any tractor shop you could think of.. TSC for one, but many others. Even some UTF's like Super 303 can carry or cross to a GL-1 spec. Search FNH 134D spec. That is available at Walmart I think.  It's all about where you look. These old Mopar's and other's have more in common with tractors,  than cars so that is where you look.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, matt167 said:

GL-4 is spec for use with yellow metals in more modern vehicles, so it 'should' be ok. Oils spec for GL4 AND GL5 only hold the GL-4 spec for use in differentials. Read the bottle and it excludes transmissions due to the yellow metals.. My JDM Suzuki mini truck requires 75W90 GL-4 in the transmission due to bronze syncro's and that stuff was $60/ gallon since Redline is one of only a couple that still make it.

GL-1 is ready available at many places, but not the places you think to look.. The Ford N series tractors spec GL1 90W, and oil for them can be found at almost any tractor shop you could think of.. TSC for one, but many others. Even some UTF's like Super 303 can carry or cross to a GL-1 spec. Search FNH 134D spec. That is available at Walmart I think.  It's all about where you look. These old Mopar's and other's have more in common with tractors,  than cars so that is where you look.

Thanks for the info. The oil I used after replacing the bronze stop rings is rated GL5, although the label on the back says  it's a suitable replacement for GL2/3/4. I purchased GL1 at Tractor Supply ($17.99 for 2 gallons) this afternoon, and since the car the car is on the rack now for it's pre-season servicing, I will drain the transmission and fill it with GL1 tomorrow. These were my last two NOS stop rings so I hope to make them last.