Flathead Guru?

Steven Dell Brown

So who's thee go to guy or guys here for flathead build questions? We'll soon be pulling the 218 out and want to do some mods.

We hope to come across another 218 or 235 to breakdown and build.The one in the car now runs perfect so we don't dare tear into it unless we have to. Just planning some "bolt on" mods for that one and fix a few minor Jerry-rigged items.

As for the one we want to break down and build, well, as the pile of beer cans gets higher the ideas get bigger...

I've never put my hands on a flathead before now so I'm wading into weird waters for me.

So far I don't see anything on them (or the entire car for that matter) that's the least bit complicated. But, I learned years ago with an air cooled VW that sometimes something can be so simple it's complicated since we (me) tend to over think when we don't know.

George Asche is the guy in Venus PA. Search the site for him and you will find his contact info, phone #. He does nothing with the internet - super nice man in his 80’s.

As to wading into unknown water - don’t be afraid. It’s very similar to any other engine except the valves are in the block. A good service manual is a huge plus in working on these.

Edited by Dartgame
  • Thanks 1

Nothing scary about the 218. Very straight forward. Plan what you want to do. For me I drove my wagon in stock configuration for a year while finding parts. The intake/carbs was the best update. Next the split exhaust manifold and then the head. Did bore the motor .040 but that was just to clean up the bore.  You'll be surprised how people react seeing one of these ugly motors dressed up.  Keep us up on your build

image.jpeg

• Like 2

1. Not ugly.

2. Chrome don't make it go.

3. A shaved iron head will give you the same oomph for less money.

4. After saying all that I still like John's setup....lol.

For me a shaved head, reground bumpstick, stainless chivvy valves, dual one bbls with dual exhaust  and a o/d or 5 speed wakes these rascals up....they will never be a V8 but can still be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Elder said:

1. Not ugly.

2. Chrome don't make it go.

3. A shaved iron head will give you the same oomph for less money.

4. After saying all that I still like John's setup....lol.

For me a shaved head, reground bumpstick, stainless chivvy valves, dual one bbls with dual exhaust  and a o/d or 5 speed wakes these rascals up....they will never be a V8 but can still be fun.

Thanks for the compliment and I agree that it's just as good to cut the steel head and detail the motor with nice paint and acorn nut covers on the head bolts. Carbs and exhaust. One of the best options on my wagon is the overdrive.  Makes the car a true driver. I had a t5 ready to install with one of dave's vintage metal works adapter kits but once I got the car sorted out and the overdrive working I couldn't bring myself to cut that hole in the floor. I'm so glad I kept it period correct

image.jpeg

• Like 5