Driver side door lock assy.

beaker31

I have a 1948 Plymouth special deluxe and my driver side door latch / rotary lock is very worn . Does anyone know where i can find one ? Greatly appreciate any help at all thanks!

The lock cam on my passenger door was very worn and the would pop open.  I fixed it with a “Roto-lokit” repair kit.  It was easy to do and did not require removing the lock from the door.  These kits are not made today, but do show up on eBay fairly regularly.  If you look for one, be aware that you need one to fit your car, and for the driver side door.  

922328FD-6D74-41FD-8538-A90FCF29389A.jpeg

I replaced my driver's door latch rotor yesterday with the parts from an ebay Roto-Lokit kit yesterday - what an improvement! I went a little further and removed the latch so I could repair the protruding bar that slides over the striker and supports the door when closed. Both the bar and striker were pretty badly worn and the door didn't close or open smoothly. I welded up the worn area, and ground and filed it smooth again. The last step was installing a new striker. The door opens and latches like new. You might want to remove the latch and check for broken springs on the pawl that locks the rotor. I noticed the broken spring on a spare latch I'd planned to use. Luckily, the latch from the door was fine. Well worth the effort, just follow the directions - I used a cutoff wheel to remove the cap and rotor.

DSC08443.jpeg

DSC08449.jpeg

DSC08462.jpeg

DSC08470.jpeg

DSC08454.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Skinner said:

Gents,

What holds the Rotor on? I see the post. Then the Rotor and Cover. (Pic second from bottom) What keeps it in place?

Is it peened onto the post?

Thanks

Tom

I forgot this picture - a tiny set screw and jam nut holds the cover. With my old, stiff fingers, I dropped the screw twice and almost lost it.

DSC08472_2.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info I’ll have to check to see if the spring is broke. I have been going on eBay trying to find one of the roto kits but have had no luck for drivers door . I might be able to get away with this on for a little longer but will eventually need one

• 2 years later...

A good tip to keep in mind is that the door locks are symmetrical, ie a drivers front door lock is the same as a passenger side REAR door lock and a passenger front door lock is the same as a drivers side rear door lock............tho' the rear locks won't have any key locking bits but can be used to rebuild the opposite front door and generally don't show as much wear as a front door lock.............dunno if this helps...........andyd 

• Like 1