New Clutch Question

I was having to readjust my clutch pedal every now and then, and not knowing the clutch's condition, I decided to just give it an overhaul.  I bought a 10" clutch kit from Robert's, as the shop manual says that was standard on B-1-B and B-1-C (mine), though apparently an optional 11" was available.  I took the job to an auto shop that works on "classic" vehicles. Next day I get a call that the clutch installed, but doesn't work (doesn't want to discuss on phone, just come down and see).  When I get there the clutch is already back out of the truck (hmm).  He tells me the problem is with the pressure plate.  Everything's right there, so I measure and find the discs are the same (10"), but while my original pressure plate surface is 10", the new part is about 3/8" over (though bolts up fine).

I call Gary at Robert's and he calls his manufacturer, and his guy says that yeah, it's a little larger, but works fine and he's never had any problems with thousands sold.  So I get back to my guy and he just says that every time it goes in and out it's costing me.....hmm, sure wish I could have taking a look at it before they pulled it the first time......anyway, he says that my original parts were in pretty good shape, so he winds up putting the new parts in except with the original pressure plate.  I think that's about as good as it gets with these guys, not sure that I care for how they do business.  Any thoughts/experiences? 

New Pressure Plate low.jpg

Old Pressure Plate low.jpg

Another Chinese import part...sizes matter. Your old PP looks recent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Another Chinese import part...sizes matter. Your old PP looks recent.

Yep, the original still shows the surfacing grinder marks, excellent condition for reuse.

I'm curious though, why did they say the replacement didn't work?  What symptoms?

I can't measure it for here, but I'll bet the problem is not the pressure plate portion, but the cover.  Maybe the cover is slightly smaller ID than the original and touches the plate rim, so doesn't release???

In any case your seller owes you IMO.  The shop didn't provide parts, so you're on the hook for the labor associated with defective parts, unless the parts supplier will assist.

• Like 1

I just talked to a guy who installed a rebuilt cover from a supplier on the east coast.... same installation problems... not easily adjustable with proper pedal feel, free play and return.

Clutch didn't operate in a normal feel and way.

He reused his old PP with a new disc. Worked fine.

He said it was an off shore replacement. In the round file it goes.

Clutch parts are becoming NG like the brake parts.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. I just picked the truck up. The shop said that when they depressed the clutch it wouldn't go into any gear. Besides the pp diameter difference, they also noticed that the plate was a bit higher (thicker), which they suspected to be the problem.  New clutch with old pp now functioning well, though I'll need to adjust the free play (too much).  

I'd still bet on the disk touching the cover on the inside.  Easy to fix if that's the case.    If it's too thick, the clutch adjustment should be able to compensate for that unless there is just not enough travel in the cover fingers.

Too bad the shop didn't do any investigation, just swapped parts again.   Yeah, I know they just got paid to R&R, but still...

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 1

Too bad the parts were not right. A waste of people's time.

I will never forget my visit to Tennessee Clutch. I walked in and found dirt/grease lumps on the floor and 3-4 guys sitting around a pot bellied heater drinking coffee although the stale grease burnt clutch stench out weighed the coffee smell. One fat guy sitting on a stool with a cigar stub and drool hanging out of his mouth asked me what I wanted. I thought I was had! The front office was not an office but looked more like something that you would find in the deliverance movie with no banjo playing. I once again thought I was had! I told the fat guy I wanted my pressure plate re-worked and I plopped it down on the counter. Again I thought I was had and this fat guy would rape my old fat punk butt. The fat guy hollered to the back of the shop and some young kid appeared, grabbed my pressure plate, and disappeared. The fat guy told me it would be an hour so I disappeared out the door before something dreadful happened.

An hour later I returned. The kid plopped my rebuilt pressure plate down and he once again diappeared to the back of the shop. There was a girl behind the counter this time although the drolling fat cigar smooking guy was still there and very much in charge. I told the girl I needed a clutch disc just like the one I plopped down on the counter. She disappeared into the rack of shelves and I once again thought I was had by the drooling fat cigar smoking guy. She plopped the required disk on the counter and I shook as I asked the dredded question "how much"?

She told me something less that one hundred dollars for the whole deal. I about fell off my stool but I know that if I had done so the fat drooling cigar smoking guy would have had his way with me. I then got brave and said I needed a pilot bushing even though I did not need one. She produced the bushing for me and I asked "how much"? She said no charge. Then I really got really balsy. I told her I want two bushings knowing the fat cigar smoking droller was still there.

This is a true story and I am glad so many forum members got satisfaction from what has proven to be a great vendor.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, Ralph Pearce said:

Thanks for your responses. I just picked the truck up. The shop said that when they depressed the clutch it wouldn't go into any gear. Besides the pp diameter difference, they also noticed that the plate was a bit higher (thicker), which they suspected to be the problem.  New clutch with old pp now functioning well, though I'll need to adjust the free play (too much).  

Hey Ralph, will your truck make it to the BBQ this year?????

48D 

7 hours ago, 48Dodger said:

Hey Ralph, will your truck make it to the BBQ this year?????

48D 

Hey Tim, not planning on it this year. Since it's not a freeway truck, it's a bit of work getting her up there. But my dad and I'll be there for sure.