connection on back of engine??

homer41

I took my engine to the machine shop today. While we were looking at the block I talked about taking the plug that is at the rear of the main oil galley out when we noticed an o- ring groove cut into the area around this plug on the face where the bellhousing would face up to, there is another one of these o-ring grooved ports on the other side which is ported back toward the oil pan except it is plugged. I am guessing this must have been used for an oil supply and return for some form of auxillary equipment that was bolted to the rear of the engine in place of the bellhousing.  Any thoughts on what this was for?  

By the way it a p-24 plymouth, 1953 engine.

Dave

Edited by homer41
addition

That's a Hy-Drive torque Converter  block ...195543 Plymouth.  Those oil galleys are open for use with the Hy_drive torque converter and 3 speed transmission setup.

Block off the oil galley's for your use W/O the torque converter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That's a Hy-Drive torque Converter  block ...195543 Plymouth.  Those oil galleys are open for use with the Hy_drive torque converter and 3 speed transmission setup.

Block off the oil galley's for your use W/O the torque converter.

Hmmm,what about the engine and trans in the 55 parts car I picked up last summer? AFAIK,it is a two-speed automatic. Is this Hy-Drive,or something else?

The blocks carried over the ability to be connected to a HyDrive .  Some had the casting boss for the return line but were not drilled.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dpollo said:

The blocks carried over the ability to be connected to a HyDrive .  Some had the casting boss for the return line but were not drilled.

Ok,that sounds like the 55 Plymouths didn't come with Hy-Drive?

8 minutes ago, dpollo said:

HyDrive was 53 and 54 only.  dp

Thanks. What is the 55 auto trans called,and how long was it used? It still has the shift handle sticking out of the dashboard. I now have a auto trans option for my 42 Dodge coupe if the VA ever amputates my left leg. So far I have been winning that argument,but the day might come when they win,and I want options.

This was a rusted out 4 dr that had supposedly ran good before the owner gave up on restoring it and started parting it out. Guy in his 20's with a couple of kids,so there was no way he was going to be able to afford to restore a old car for another 15-20 years.

I spotted it about 40 miles from my home sitting in his yard,and stopped to ask about it. When he told me $250 for the whole car,I just paid the man. The engine was stuck,but I spraying some Kroil in each cylinder after I got it home,drank a cup of coffee,and went back out in the yard and turned it over using a  wrench. Trans condition is unknown other than the guy told me it was good. For $250,I'm happy either way. Sold the front bumper to a P-15-D-24 guy that lives locally,so I don't even have that much in it anymore. The carb and engine side covers were missing,but I have since bought replacements.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

that would be a 2speed auto powerflyte

Thanks,Ed.

Actually its a Powerflite........but I am a pedantic Oz bastard..............lol............just don't get it confused with the GM Powerglide.........lol......regards, andyd

• Like 1

I was led to believe that bastard was a term of endearment in your part of the world  or maybe I was in bad company.   Owyergoinmate ?  dp

Yep, but theres no way you can call me a Bastard, not even with a capital B........my parents were married, I've even got a picture of me at their wedding to prove it.............lol.......going great mate..........lol...........regards, andyd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1