Tappet Wrench

So I want to adjust the vavles this year on my 251. As we all know the exhaust maniflod is kinda in the way. I have been searching for a wrench set to do the job. I was wondering if anybody had ever tried to use regular wrenches to do it? I know you should have longer ones. I really don't want to send down to the states to buy them. No offense to the guys down there. Does any body in Canada know where you can get them from? Not planning on buying anything till April. 

I just used my plain mastercraft set from Ctire...no matter what you have it's a bear of a job.  IMO...if I was to do it again, I would heat up the engine and then shut it off and adjust...this adjusting while running stuff is for the birds...not to mention tough on your feeler gauge set. 

I just use regular short wrenches... always have... no big deal for me... just watch your bare hands... I don't like gloves.

Kinda warm that's all.

I have been looking around for tappet wrenches but either they are on ebay and shipping them up here someone want 20 or 30 dollars. I have looked at a few places the have tools but know one seems to have them. Unless I am looking in the wrong place. I have seen thin wrenches but there just not long enough. 

If I was thinking a year ago sears would have been good but the shut down all sears stores in Canada about 2 months ago. Guess I will see what I can find. Theres a few tools I am looking for. 

1 tappet wrenches

2 a reemer for kingpins would be nice

3 a table saw this is hard to find. For boards in box.

Take my time sure I will find everthing. Need truck going. It starts and runs but compression is a 80 lbs right now and goes through a lot of gas. 

I think 7/16 and 1/2 is right, as for a king pin reamer...do yourself a huge favour, get a machine shop to do your bushings, they can make a much nicer and tighter clearance and the costs aren't that bad, and if you do it once, very likely never do it again.  A table saw in Manitoba shouldn't be any issues...Canadian tire usually puts them on for $100-150 a couple times a year, but a skill saw is much easier for cutting floor boards.

Edited by 4mula-dlx
I'm getting old
  • Like 1

Ya I have been thinking of getting a machine shop to do it. Theres a guy down the street that works for a welding /machine shop. Buddy of his could do it. I have to take pins out anyways to measure them up. Hopefully 8pd hammer will do the trick. Hopefully 

Try Mac tools, Snap-on, or equivalent. They specialize in mechanics' tools and most places in Canada have a dealer. They will sell individual tools or at least they used too. 

Edited by RobertKB

I understand that Craftsman has them and there not that much but we don't have Sears in Canada anymore and I have no idea where else to get them other then ebay. They are 40 or 50 dollars on ebay and 25 to 50 dollars to send them here. 

Wish I was still driving transport in the states lol

Edited by bambamshere

don't know about Canada, but down south Ace Hardware, Lowes and a couple of farm supply stores now sell Craftsman.  I assume that means they could order specific items, but maybe not.

Might try the Stanley Black and Decker web site, they may have a dealer locator.

Snap On will sell from their web presence, but I haven't checked shipping.  IF, they will send USPS there should be not duties, at least I have sent several small items to Canadians.  Filled out the Customs forms etc, and no broker or tax fees were charged to sender or receiver.

Ok so I haven't gone to this place yet but I was looking on Amazon and decided to see if they had anything for tappet wrenches. They had something call Armstrong Industriel Hand Tools. I went to the main site to see if they sold Armstrong Tools in Canada and there is 3 places in Winnipeg that sells them. I will go on Monday and see if they have Tappet wrenches. Just so if anyone else in Manitoba are looking for them.