Sbc in 50 plymouth

Pushrod Scott

I see no real doom and gloom but I do see a few people pointing out facts of concern in doing the build regardless of the engine used....the mentions of the items that need addressed is actually refreshing to see as many go into this blind and have no clue...in this and the first post it was clear that the man was looking for a step by step and points of interest in doing the job.....there seems to be no pleasing anyone completely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I have no clue why you would think the rest of the conversion would run 2000 to 4000 dollars.....but...if the man does farm it out...then yes to that end it could run a bit of coin....

It adds up very fast, even when one does all of the labor.

My comments were not intended to be doom or gloom.....simply a short list of adaptations that must be done in order to swap motors.....there are no bolt in swaps plain and simple, if you want to swap get ready to hunker down and get to work ......if you can't do the work then get ready to pay to play. I hope you find what you want Scott 350 chevy [yuck...lol.], 318...stock or modified 6, I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your project!

• Like 1

Don't forget to add the Modified Vehicle Federal DOT Safety Inspection....

$1375.00 :eek:

13 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Don't forget to add the Modified Vehicle Federal DOT Safety Inspection....

$1375.00 :eek:

Depends on where you live. As much as I hate the high prices in CA, I’m sure glad we don’t have those ridiculous inspections. Either way, unless you build a complete stocker, he might be on the hook for it. What a money grab

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

It would be wise for Scott to do a list and the cost of all the required parts need to do the swap.

thanks for all the concern, thanks for the kind words, I do have some fabrication abilities, I am not looking for a step by step how to. I have several rear ends, both 8 and 9 inch fords laying around the shop, driveshaft is 100 bucks, had 1 done for my truck. I have a friend that did the exact swap on a 49 Desoto, he shifted the engine 2 inches to the passenger side. no problem with stock steering, nor with starter and exhaust. I also have a bunch of club brothers to help if needed, and seems like there are a bunch of people here willing to help. Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Put a SBC in my sub framed 50 Olds. Took it to national Oldsmobile club meet in Reno a few years back..even disguised it with Olds valve covers and air cleaner..

Like the man said...didn't fool anybody but good for a few grins...

On 3/18/2018 at 8:39 PM, Pushrod Scott said:

thanks for all the concern, thanks for the kind words, I do have some fabrication abilities, I am not looking for a step by step how to. I have several rear ends, both 8 and 9 inch fords laying around the shop, driveshaft is 100 bucks, had 1 done for my truck. I have a friend that did the exact swap on a 49 Desoto, he shifted the engine 2 inches to the passenger side. no problem with stock steering, nor with starter and exhaust. I also have a bunch of club brothers to help if needed, and seems like there are a bunch of people here willing to help. Thanks!!!

These are 5.2/318 manifolds off of a durango, they hug the block pretty tight.....just in case you need to look for different ones.

100_1138.jpg

100_1141.jpg

Unfortunately I do not know what years, sorry.

Edited by Frank Elder
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wayfarer said:

The 'usual' driver exhaust manifold is a 69-72 ? A body unit. The Durango units, as in the above photo, look good.

Aren't the A- body 318 manifolds reversible ? As the driver's side is front dump for clearance .....which means you can use the passenger side manifold on the driver's side also?

16 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Aren't the A- body 318 manifolds reversible ? As the driver's side is front dump for clearance .....which means you can use the passenger side manifold on the driver's side also?

The A body unit has a 'special' curve to clear the steering shaft. Fester60 has a good photo of this on his project. 

...cannot get rid of this 'pop-up' ...would not just a link be just as good????

http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/FESTER50/media/Dodge pics/101_0305.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

You WILL have to wade through a massive amount of pop-up ads to actually get to his album........

Edited by wayfarer