Sbc in 50 plymouth

Pushrod Scott

This topic bothers a number of people on the forum. Previous thread was locked due to that. This thread has been reported to the moderators and I've already had to delete a number of posts to it.

Keep your posts on the topic. If you don't like the topic at all, then don't post.

I strongly suspect we'll end up having to lock this thread too, but I am hoping for more civility going forward.

• Like 2

Thanks Tod, and as he noted if you don't like the topic, don't post.  

I think it is important we are open to these type of mods because they are common and the challenges it presents may help others even if they are not using SBC. 

And as the header logo notes, Flathead to V8s, Stock to Custom are welcome and encouraged to start threads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

I know all about the SBC BN.

More reliable? Lets agree to disagree on that point. The flathead was not only used in cars and trucks but in Industrial applications for many many years they are deadnuts reliable.

SBC more powerful? Okay fine GM needed 2 extra pistons and a V block to do it as the 216 snd 235 Stovebolts certainly couldn't. Your comparing apples to pineapples.

On your economic protestations SBC is cheapest, parts aftermarket stuff etc

Most guys on here are not concerned with that, as they want stock or nearly stock setups.

Hey you can build as you see fit no problem there. Just know most on here like and prefer stock engines and chassis.

I don't worry about not being able to buy parts,either. Not in the cellphone and email world of today,where you can order pretty much anything you want over the phone and have it delivered the next day.

On top of that,I just made it a habit to carry a spare fuel pump,water pump,coil,points,condenser,and distributor cap in my truck for years. Granted,this used to be cheaper to do 20+ years ago than today,but when you compare the expense of carrying ALL those spare parts and a tool box to the expense of just ONE rollback ride of more than a few miles,it's nothing. AND...,a huge part of the charm of these old engines to me is the fact that I CAN make roadside repairs with a minimum of tools. No way in hell can I do that with my 06 Duramax diesel pu. The whole front clip has to be pulled to replace a water pump. Labor alone was $1,000 5 years ago. Then add the tow bill,parts,and labor to that.

15 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I don't worry about not being able to buy parts,either. Not in the cellphone and email world of today,where you can order pretty much anything you want over the phone and have it delivered the next day.

On top of that,I just made it a habit to carry a spare fuel pump,water pump,coil,points,condenser,and distributor cap in my truck for years. Granted,this used to be cheaper to do 20+ years ago than today,but when you compare the expense of carrying ALL those spare parts and a tool box to the expense of just ONE rollback ride of more than a few miles,it's nothing. AND...,a huge part of the charm of these old engines to me is the fact that I CAN make roadside repairs with a minimum of tools. No way in hell can I do that with my 06 Duramax diesel pu. The whole front clip has to be pulled to replace a water pump. Labor alone was $1,000 5 years ago. Then add the tow bill,parts,and labor to that.

14 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I hear yah Brother.

Im uploading a U tube video as i type this

Its me and my reliable Fargo cruising the highway this morning in the end of winter. 

Being the too helpful type I sent the OP a private message offering up a good engine/transmission combo. He may not know how to check private messages or just has no interest. Maybe I asked for too much $$$... Either way is fine, I have a '50 Coronet coupe that needs an engine.. That's why I bought it.. Just trying to do a solid for someone who may need some assistance.. As Red Green always said, "I'm pullin' for ya!!"

All the hoopla over this reminds me of showing up at BMW motorcycle events on a Harley,,,, and vice versa.... Always good for a grin or two!!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

Yup, I'm the guy with the slightly rodded, Chevy powered Bodge who also runs a bobbed Suzuki that confuses the hell out of the Harley boys. 

31.jpg

Listen here Wiggo!

Want to see a Mopar Flathead 6 bike that made world record speeds.

https://www.allpar.com/history/plymouth/motorcycle.html

20 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Listen here Wiggo!

Chain drive steering! Ok, that's cool. But I still reckon that rear fender was way too big, and it needer a fatter back end. Ok, can I get chain steering in? It's going to be easier on my back and shoulders...

26 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Listen here Wiggo!

Neat story. I had not heard of that.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:11 PM, Frank Elder said:

I don't think you offended anyone personally ........us true blue mopar guys have sensitivity issues over transplanting the heartbeat of America into our beloved Chrysler products.....lol. Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

Or there 1970s slogan, " Chiverlay building a better way to see the USA".....lol

And the " Pay me now or pay me later" oil filter jingle

You guys probably have no idea what a 'chav' is, but my blonde daughter ran a Chevrolet Matiz before she passed her driver's license test. I threatened to go to the parts store and swap an 'e' for an 'a'. "What?" she said, "So it reads 'Chevrolat?"

6 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

You guys probably have no idea what a 'chav' is, but my blonde daughter ran a Chevrolet Matiz before she passed her driver's license test. I threatened to go to the parts store and swap an 'e' for an 'a'. "What?" she said, "So it reads 'Chevrolat?"

What kinda chebby is that? A British Vega with 2.3 liter aluminum engine...lol

Shoulda bought her a Cortina...lol

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

1 minute ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

What kinda chebby is that? A British Vega with 2.3 liter aluminum engine...lol

Hahahaha! Nope, it was a Shabby badged Daewoo with a 3 cylinder 800cc lump. Awesome. She wrote it off the day she passed her test...

Used_Chevrolet_Matiz_2008_Silver_Hatchback_Petrol_Manual_for_Sale_in_West_Yorkshire_UK.jpg

2 hours ago, MackTheFinger said:

Being the too helpful type I sent the OP a private message offering up a good engine/transmission combo. He may not know how to check private messages or just has no interest. Maybe I asked for too much $$$... Either way is fine, I have a '50 Coronet coupe that needs an engine.. That's why I bought it.. Just trying to do a solid for someone who may need some assistance.. As Red Green always said, "I'm pullin' for ya!!"

All the hoopla over this reminds me of showing up at BMW motorcycle events on a Harley,,,, and vice versa.... Always good for a grin or two!!! ;)

I got your message, thanks, thru my postings here and elsewhere I have a good 318 coming at an outstanding price. I also have a friend that has done a 318, so I have help if I need it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pushrod Scott said:

I got your message, thanks, thru my postings here and elsewhere I have a good 318 coming at an outstanding price. I also have a friend that has done a 318, so I have help if I need it

Put Chevy valve covers and an HEI and take it too an all mopar show........lol!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pushrod Scott said:

How much are you budgeting for this swap?

11 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Are you asking what he tells the wife he spent, or what he actually spends?

Why would anyone want to tell there wife anything but the truth? I just bought a new MAC laptop today and I told my wife what it cost. She tells me what she spends and I tell her what I spend. No big deal.

1 hour ago, Wiggo said:

Yup, I'm the guy with the slightly rodded, Chevy powered Bodge who also runs a bobbed Suzuki that confuses the hell out of the Harley boys. 

31.jpg

It wouldn't confuse me but the younger crowd is sometimes sorta uninformed. A guy once asked me if my '56 BSA Road Rocket was an Indian.. I said "Yes, it is. Thanks for asking!!" I guess he didn't see the badges on the tank...

I like the fork shrouds on your bike and the drum rear brake.. I'm too old and short in the inseam for the bars, seat, and forward control configuration, though.. I had a TBI many years ago and one of the lingering symptoms is that sometimes when I get off a bike that stretches me out too much my left leg will just buckle. Seriously.. One second it works and the next it don't!! Lots of laughs for everyone else but I'm too old to be falling down indiscriminately... It's not as bad as it useta be but still....:unsure:

46 minutes ago, Pushrod Scott said:

Cool beans!! Hope it works out for you!! 

12 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

It wouldn't confuse me but the younger crowd is sometimes sorta uninformed. A guy once asked me if my '56 BSA Road Rocket was an Indian.. I said "Yes, it is. Thanks for asking!!" I guess he didn't see the badges on the tank...

I like the fork shrouds on your bike and the drum rear brake.. I'm too old and short in the inseam for the bars, seat, and forward control configuration, though.. I had a TBI many years ago and one of the lingering symptoms is that sometimes when I get off a bike that stretches me out too much my left leg will just buckle. Seriously.. One second it works and the next it don't!! Lots of laughs for everyone else but I'm too old to be falling down indiscriminately... It's not as bad as it useta be but still....:unsure:

Well, if I'm honest, it took a bit of getting used to, but at 5'10" it's ok

27.jpg

• Like 1

Well it may be a ________, but i am sure you can noise with the best!!:lol:

DJ

Well, to me it just goes to show that custom is as custom does. Buying a bunch of chrome geegaws from the Harley store does not make a custom. Nor does bolting a flattie into a rotbox make a vintage Mopar...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

Why would anyone want to tell there wife anything but the truth? I just bought a new MAC laptop today and I told my wife what it cost. She tells me what she spends and I tell her what I spend. No big deal.

Don,maybe it's just my bad luck,but every woman I have ever lived with came to the conclusion that there were two types of money in the house. "Our money" and "HER money".

• Like 1