52 plymouth underside of hood coating ?

Dartgame

Hi All - Is an under side of the hood anti flutter dampening material needed for a 52 plymouth ?

My car is at the paint shop. They wanted to remove that horribly tough oem undercoating that was sprayed all over it. So I brought it home and stripped it myself. What a huge mess that was. But I saved around 20 labor hours, which is big $  when you are working with a paint shop.

The question is what to use on the underside of the hood, or if even something is needed.

I had posted a similar question on this site before, and some folks said it was optional as to whether the factory applied undercoating or just paint. My thought is the hood on a 52 is pretty flexible and does not have much bracing - and may drone or flutter while driving if something extra is not applied to the engine side of the hood. I am considering truck bed liner (spray on polyurea), and am also thinking about lizard skin. 

Anyone have some thoughts about this or experience to relate ?

the undercoating is truly not needed...the areas around the hood hinge supprts and the front latch support network are truly  your main concerns here for removal of rust and protecting for the future.  The undercoat was added by an owner or part of some dealer prep depending on dealer and or location of sales.  The underside is normally painted eco-sheen and that is a shade of paint that varied from year to year and assembly plant to assembly plant.  I have my own formula for eco-sheen for the Evansville that was a great match.  Your call if you wish to add a insulation blanket of some sort...attachment network may be tricky

If I had to coat it at all I would spray on the coating used for rocker panels then top coat it with what PA suggested or a satin black.

I dealt with a car that had that tarry goo that was applied back in the 50s all over the engine !   Not deliberately applied, just careless.

It served only one purpose for me and that was to indicate that nobody had opened up the engine before.

I am under the impression that the heavy undercoating was applied by the factory to stiffen and dampen hood vibration. If someone has a 52 without this stuff can you tell me if the hood is stable or needs something ? 

The material was the same stuff sprayed all over the underside of the car in the fender wells etc. I have the original bill of sale and description of the car as sold. No where does it specify under coating nor is it listed as a dealer add on. This stuff was incredibly tough to remove. My thought is why did the factory apply this stuff ? 

The rear and front braces are present, so that part is good to go. There is no rust on the hood anywhere, nor around the hinges etc. This car is 99% rust free, with a little in the interior foot wells, but no perforation - so this is not a rust proofing drill. 

Ive used 3M body shutz before, but with the underhood temps I am concerned it will soften and drop off on to the engine.

Lizard skin talks about it being used underside of hoods and 500F resistance..I’ll give them a call and report back.

Plymouthy the color you are describing - is it the grayish blue color ?

Edited by Dartgame

Have decided to go without any extra coating underside of the hood. It’s going to be body color. If it shows some issue with flutter or vibration, will address it afterwards.

Lizard skin said their stuff would work and is paintable. But after thinking about this and reading more it appears that lizard skin has conflicting positions about paintability. 

The coating underside of the hood beneath the undercoating was a greenish color, single layer primer like coating probably similar to Plymouthy’s description.. The trunk area is a kind of blue gray color. will keep that part the same.

I  think you are on the right track with the bed liner spray, and it comes in spray cans which makes it nice and easy to use. What I would suggest is using something to spray a test on before starting on the hood, as a rule you spray about 10 to 12 inches away from the panel, and the farther back you spray finer it gets and with the test panel you be able to see pattern you like. The underseal was not installed at the factory it was something the dealers did.

Some bed/under coating can be mixed with color pigments to match the car color.

Consult your local paint store about the possibilities.

Just a slightly different/mix/match of ideas?

DJ

All good feedback thanks. If the factory did not apply this, then it probably is not needed. I will wait and see how it behaves before doing anything more. I’d rather not add this stuff if it isn’t needed. extra cost and mess.