1946 - 1948 Mopar bumper interchange?

ebruns1

Fellas,

Here's my dilemma.  My 48 Dodge bumpers have termite holes all the way through where the guards were fastened.  Some big 2" holes too.  Would take extensive welding work (I don't have those skills) to do it on my own.  I bought a set of decent (surface rust only) Plym bumpers with guards and brackets for only $100.  I figured I can either use the Plym brackets or the original Dodge brackets to install them.  I also have a line on a cheap Desoto rear bumper that might fit better, and it would be cool to have a mix of mopar parts too!  (Since the Desoto bumper says "Desoto" on it, not fluid drive).  I think the bumpers would swap from one to another if you have the correct brackets for the bumper so the holes line up.  I assume the frame mounting holes are all the same across the line?  Anyone know for sure?  I'll be attempting this once the weather gets better but it would be nice to hear if it worked for anyone else.

PS - Why are the Dodge bumpers made in 3 separate sections while the Plym, Desoto, and Chry bumpers were all one piece?  I'd like to put Desoto or Chry front bumpers on my Dodge.  I like the look of how they wrap around the front clip better.  If the original brackets from the bumper was used would that work?

Jim

normally these parts do not interchange due to body size difference of the Plymouth and Dodge....mount holes for the bracket will not be equal but could surely be overcome by bolting a plate drilled to adapt on to the other.  again, width issues would be your only real concern as the other issues are easily overcome