1947 Plymouth Woody - posting for a friend

ebruns1

Fellas,

I just returned from purchasing a few parts from a fellow I met at a few local car shows.  He has a 47 Plymouth woody wagon fully restored, and a 48 Plymouth Coupe parts car (I bought the front and rear bumpers for my 48 Dodge...but that's a future thread).  He thought he read somewhere that the woody wagon had a 4:11 rear, which makes sense as he says it tops out at about 55.  Does anyone know offhand what the coupe rear ratio was?  He is now thinking about swapping rears if it was a more friendly gearing 3:55 etc. or anything better than the 4:11.  The coupe was fairly rusted through sheet metal-wise, but the trim and the chrome was surprisingly decent!  I also bought a trunk handle fixture (no handle) that looked like it just come from a chrome shop.  He is also going to throw in a fuel filler tube too as mine is pretty well rusted.  The bumpers had surface rust only and no deep pits, so they will look ok if I wind up painting them (can't afford to do a re-chrome).

Jim

Ratios for that rear axle were  4.3  -1  4.1 -1  3.9 -1  3.73 -1  and 3,54 -1   

Ring and pinion sets are mostly interchangeable through 1956  but axle spline count changed in 1953

3.9 to 1 is the most popular and all six cylinder cars DPCD will interchange

axle lengths  37 to 48      49     51-56

4 hours ago, ebruns1 said:

Fellas,

I just returned from purchasing a few parts from a fellow I met at a few local car shows.  He has a 47 Plymouth woody wagon fully restored, and a 48 Plymouth Coupe parts car (I bought the front and rear bumpers for my 48 Dodge...but that's a future thread).  He thought he read somewhere that the woody wagon had a 4:11 rear, which makes sense as he says it tops out at about 55.  Does anyone know offhand what the coupe rear ratio was?  He is now thinking about swapping rears if it was a more friendly gearing 3:55 etc. or anything better than the 4:11.  The coupe was fairly rusted through sheet metal-wise, but the trim and the chrome was surprisingly decent!  I also bought a trunk handle fixture (no handle) that looked like it just come from a chrome shop.  He is also going to throw in a fuel filler tube too as mine is pretty well rusted.  The bumpers had surface rust only and no deep pits, so they will look ok if I wind up painting them (can't afford to do a re-chrome).

Jim

Jim,why not try to paint them with the new chrome paints you can get in rattle cans? To the best of my knowledge I have never seen bumpers painted with the chrome paint,but I have seen smaller pieces of chrome trim painted with it,and it looked pretty good even up close.

• Like 1

Great info on the axle ratios fellas, I will pass it along.  Thank you!  He had not heard of this forum :eek: so keep a lookout for a new member soon.  He has a barn full of old cars and trucks he's collected over 35 yrs.  He had been trying to sell this 47 Ply Coupe for $700 on Craigslist for a year now, and only recently decided to part it out.  He's now made a bit over $700 as no one would try to restore this car, almost all the sheet metal was rotted except for the firewall and the trunk floors. 

Bumper swap - starting a new thread...

Jim