Splitting exhaust manifold

Tim Van Pelt

did you try you tube, I know both the HAMB and the Stovebolt site has articles on the process...if you welding this yourself...you should already know, if taking this to  someone...odds are they do not want to be told how to do the job...not running you off but a visit to the aforementioned may be what you wish to read.  Pictorial, some references on you tube but I did not research more than a quick return for the "posed question"

if you search split exhaust on the hamb you will find lots of good info, including a thread 5 pages long on just mopar 6's.

This is actually a good one to read as it talks about actually doing the work.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/i-want-to-split-my-gmc-manifold-possible.1081250/#post-12473409

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

I did a search and found several posts but didnt find what I was looking for.  Does anyone have a picture tutorial of how they did it.

I think the number 1 question you want answered first is "WHERE do i want the pipes to dump with the engine in the chassis I will be using?"

It would really suck to cut up a manifold and have it welded together to then discover one of the outlets would dump on the crossmember or hit something else.

5 hours ago, Mike36 said:

Rusty Hope sells a kit for this.

While this may be a quick and easy extra dump hole it should be done properly.

George Asche does them nicely into tru splits either cut in half or like mine truly divided but not cut.

I like the look of the Langdon headers personally.

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

Im building a single seat speedster and am going to run a 230. So being a hotrod sort of thing I would like to run duels.

1 hour ago, JOHN EDGE said:

You must really want dual exhaust 

15 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I think the number 1 question you want answered first is "WHERE do i want the pipes to dump with the engine in the chassis I will be using?"

It would really suck to cut up a manifold and have it welded together to then discover one of the outlets would dump on the crossmember or hit something else.

1 hour ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

Im building a single seat speedster and am going to run a 230. So being a hotrod sort of thing I would like to run duels.

In that case,WHY are you messing around with cast iron exhaust manifolds? Buy some exhaust tubing,weld flanges to each piece,bolt each to an exhaust port,and run them straight out and then back. Or back and down. If the noise is too much for you,put a motorcycle baffle in each one.

Edited by knuckleharley

Either chase up a set of the Fenton cast iron headers sold by Stovebolt Engineering, make a set of tube headers from various bends OR do what I did........... find a front dump and a middle dump Plymouth/Dodge exhaust manifold, cut the front & rear off each manifold and because I live in country Australia I had a blacksmith weld ends onto the front & back manifold pieces without the heat riser and Da,Da..........a pair of split exhaust headers..........I would have preferred to use the Fenton headers but being that the car they were to go in was RHD and the pedals follow thru would have hit the rear header and the front header wanted to go where the RHD steering box lived then these were the best option..........see pic...........I found that there were at least 3 differing outlet Plymouth/Dodge exhaust manifolds so that may help........Andy Douglas   

IMG_1387.JPG

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

In that case,WHY are you messing around with cast iron exhaust manifolds? Buy some exhaust tubing,weld flanges to each piece,bolt each to an exhaust port,and run them straight out and then back. Or back and down. If the noise is too much for you,put a motorcycle baffle in each one.

Because I'm doing this on the cheap and I'm trying to keep it as close to a late forties early fifties period correct build as possible.

1 minute ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

Because I'm doing this on the cheap and I'm trying to keep it as close to a late forties early fifties period correct build as possible.

Nothing could be cheaper or late-40's=early 50's that individual pipes bolted right to each exhaust port,

1 minute ago, knuckleharley said:

Nothing could be cheaper or late-40's=early 50's that individual pipes bolted right to each exhaust port,

Going to split a cast iron manifold.

10 minutes ago, Tim Van Pelt said:

Going to split a cast iron manifold.

OK.

7 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

OK.

Just the route I want to go. I have built several sets of headers, so dont have a problem doing that. Just want to build a car that someone would have built with junkyard parts in the 40s-50s.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JOHN EDGE said:

Be sure to post a picture of the car when done. Sounds like a fun project

I started a build thread but my photos are to large to post so I need to figure that out .

Online Photo Editors can resize, many for free. Here is one:

https://www.freeonlinephotoeditor.com

...and my favorite:

https://pixlr.com/editor/

...Works online or get the app for mobile devices. FWIW My favorite phone app image resizer:

Photo and Image Resizer by Farluner Apps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer

I'm using Android. iPhone users should search the app store for it or similar :D

Edited by FlashBuddy

6 hours ago, HellYeah said:

This is how its done on an old manifold I bought a few years back. Probably done in the 1950s..

IMG_0502.JPG

Tattersfield!!!