help me find sbc swap into 50 plymouth links

Pushrod Scott

I know it is here somewhere, I have a good 305 and 350 turbo trans in my hoarding collection, I want to install it in my 50 special deluxe, I cant seem to find the info and pics on here when doing searches. maybe I am not entering the right info!!! computering is not my thing!!! HELP!

You would be better served asking on the Hamb. This site is for those that appreciate the old Mopars, and enjoy saving them. Sbc’s are not much respected here. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike36 said:

You would be better served asking on the Hamb. This site is for those that appreciate the old Mopars, and enjoy saving them. Sbc’s are not much respected here. 

funny I thought by getting an old mopar back on the road was saving it!

Scott........your car, your choice but have you given any thought to using a small block mopar, 316/340/360?.......pretty much the same size as the SBC and will get brownie points from all mopar morons like us.........the SBC will fit well but, from me, who has had a 318 Poly in his 1940 Dodge since 1973 it would be a shame but like I said your car..........I doubt if there is a kit for the SBC in the mopar but maybe look at how close a SBC in the 1949-54 Chev is as they are similar in overall design without having the mopar engineering ...............regards, andyd

A call to Butch or the new owner may help.

For what is worth.

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/eng-trans-mounting-kits-4/

DJ

You could sell the Chevy motor and trans and put the  proceeds tword   the flatie rebuild.  Just another option.  Imagine how much you will save in the fab work?  Good luck with it.

48 minutes ago, BigDaddyO said:

Just don't give up. Don't let the nay sayers get you down.

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/eng-trans-mounting-kits-4/

Google is your friend.

And if you contact Butch's please let them know you heard about them on p15-D24.com. 

• Like 1

I always kinda figure if you wanted a chevy and it's short comings, go buy one.  But it's your car, you can do whatever you wish.

As a daily driver, the good old flatheads are notorious for being sound engines.  With the time, effort, and fabrication that you will endure.....  Going with another flathead would be cheaper in the long run.  Plus you will most likely get better gas mileage, more savings to consider.  

I put a small block Chrysler, the better SBC,  in my 1959 Dodge D100.  I was able to find everything I needed to make it a bolt in.  Just a little of information to think about.  I wish I still had that truck!  I miss it dearly....

Good luck on your adventure, I hope that you find the best path to suit you.

P.S.- my first car was a 1957 chebbie, I owned many chebbies since then as a matter of fact....  The first Mopar I owned was so much more of a car.  After owning that 1969 Valiant, I have decided to be a Chrysler only guy(now for over 20 years).  Other than my work car throw aways that achieve over 30 MPG to help me drive 80,000 miles a year to do my job....  LOL. 

It's always easiest to replace or rebuild the original components but it shouldn't be too much of a hurdle to put a Chevy motor in your car. There are universal type motor mounts galore for the small block Chevy and you can homeroll a transmission mount without a whole lot of grief. Then you can deal with driveshaft, transmission and throttle linkage, wiring, etc. I like all sorts of cars without regard to manufacturer. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

14 hours ago, Pushrod Scott said:

if someone can direct me to a rebuild kit for the 218 for 500 bucks I will rebuild it. I have less than that in the sbc and trans I have. I am building a daily driver.

I always believe one should build their cars however they want and to hell with what anyone else says.  That being said, a Chevy and been done, redone and overdone.  Everybody and their brother drops a 350/350 combo into all makes and then thinks they have something special.  I modify every car I own so I'm not giving you the "purist" point of view either, and it doesn't have to have a Chevy in it to be a daily driver.  For a few bucks more you could drop the 270 in it Plymouthy was talking about and be just as reliable but the cool factor goes to a new high.  I really enjoyed dropping a 440 in a pre-war Chevy coupe and sticking it to the SBC crowd though.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, Mike36 said:

You are in the right place and just because you're dropping a V8 in your car doesn't make you unwelcome here.  I completely disagree with anyone who tells you to go to the HAMB, like your modified car is not welcome here.  Read the P15-D24 banner, I think some people have never read the description to the right.

P15-D24.com and Pilot-house.com

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Here in Oz we have to get an engineer to tick off on the work done, which adds to the cost of a v8 conversion. I assume that would be the case in the US as well?

Edit: I'll leave my comment but just noticed Adam H had the same thoughts. 

The HAMB might be the best place for the topic, but if it's the only place it might be time to change the header image and forum description....  

Certainly not what I would do unless the car had been previously modified, but it's ultimately up to the owner.  

IMG_0148.PNG

Edited by thebeebe5
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, thebeebe5 said:

Edit: I'll leave my comment but just noticed Adam H had the same thoughts. 

The HAMB might be the best place for the topic, but if it's the only place it might be time to change the header image and forum description....  

Certainly not what I would do unless the car had been previously modified, but it's ultimately up to the owner.  

IMG_0148.PNG

The only "Qualifier" I see is Mopar products, flatheads and  V8s.

Not Chevrolet, not Ford, not anything else mentioned.

This is a Mopar site that was created for Flathead era cars and trucks.

I do not support a non Mopar Theme base for either the truck or car boards.

But would not necessarily oppose non Mopar such as  Chevy 350 engine being used and discussed either.

Just know its a Mopar Themed website.

The HAMB and Hotrodders .com are dedicated to non specific manufacturers.

GTK please keep the essence of this website Mopar as it always has been...

• Thanks 1

When I referred you to the HAMB, it was an attempt to steer you to a group that does what you were asking about. I know there will be way more help for you on that site than on this one. At no time did I say you weren’t welcome here. 

5 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I always believe one should build their cars however they want and to hell with what anyone else says.  That being said, a Chevy and been done, redone and overdone.  Everybody and their brother drops a 350/350 combo into all makes and then thinks they have something special.  I modify every car I own so I'm not giving you the "purist" point of view either, and it doesn't have to have a Chevy in it to be a daily driver.  For a few bucks more you could drop the 270 in it Plymouthy was talking about and be just as reliable but the cool factor goes to a new high.  I really enjoyed dropping a 440 in a pre-war Chevy coupe and sticking it to the SBC crowd though.

You are in the right place and just because you're dropping a V8 in your car doesn't make you unwelcome here.  I completely disagree with anyone who tells you to go to the HAMB, like your modified car is not welcome here.  Read the P15-D24 banner, I think some people have never read the description to the right.

P15-D24.com and Pilot-house.com

Adam

I did not tell him to go to the HAMB, I said he would be better served there with the questions he has. And he will. If my wording is too complex for you, let me know and I will simplify it. 

3 hours ago, maok said:

Here in Oz we have to get an engineer to tick off on the work done, which adds to the cost of a v8 conversion. I assume that would be the case in the US as well?

Nope. Many states have annual vehicle safety inspections but they don't extend that deep here. In fact I've heard there are even some unscrupulous people who can find ways to get almost any vehicle passed without much trouble at all.. Some places have emissions testing, too. I have no idea what that entails, I'll have to ask my kid. He lives in Chicago where they seem to care about things like that.. :) Even then I don't think Illinois has annual vehicle inspections.

Some states that have inspections will have policies that consider vehicles with non stock like modifications class the vehicle as reconstructed where they have to be brought ' up to code ' so to speak ( seatbelts, 4 way flashers ect... ) but most states, anything goes if it's safe enough

36 minutes ago, MackTheFinger said:

Nope. Many states have annual vehicle safety inspections but they don't extend that deep here. In fact I've heard there are even some unscrupulous people who can find ways to get almost any vehicle passed without much trouble at all.. Some places have emissions testing, too. I have no idea what that entails, I'll have to ask my kid. He lives in Chicago where they seem to care about things like that.. :) Even then I don't think Illinois has annual vehicle inspections.

What about insurance implications?