"On the Road Again" with Phoenix

The rooftop tents like the one shown above are awesome and generally have a nice mattress in them too! Those are very popular with the offroad crowd.

Another option would be a small travel trailer if the insurance allows. We used to have a 1961 Deville travel trailer. It was super light, would match the old truck and beat the hell out of a tent any day! We might purchase another one some day to pull behind the truck or my 54 Ford Coupe.

One has to understand the total concept of the tear drop. It is a mattress on wheels, with an outside kitchen for outside camping. Put up a  10' X 10' popup shade behind it and life is good. Papa nd Nana have a nice bed, the grandkids can sleep in tents. I'm going to start looking for one.

Tim, clean out a space in the shop where Zachary and I can lay out out our sleeping bags. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tom for laughing at my comment. I couldn't resist. I almost suggested one of these but then I remembered the fall.

The fellow in the shop next to mine fabs all sorts of cool accessories for Off roaders. He has a real nice set up for his truck. But you know none of this modern techy looking stuff would go well with the style and the gist of these trucks. What next right? How goofy would some carbon fiber hood components look? These days the significance of all this stuff is overblown and just becomes a distraction from the real experience.

Now a nice vintage teardrop.....that wouldn't be bad. Or you could go with some wood and canvas and even be more appropriate. The old movie "the Rounders" features a 1952 B-3-C  with a wood box on the side of the bed that functions as a kitchen,etc... There is even a scene were Henry Fonda is making breakfast at it. If it were me I think I like that best. Just feels right. Low tech...and .nothing more than what is really required. It is exactly what these trucks were all about in the first place.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

My camper program is being redesigned, will continue this fall. TKS for all the safety comments, they all were taken seriously. Onother  value of a forum, good constructive warnings. 

• 6 months later...

I drive Phoenix very often, probably 5 times a week. Most drives are 10 mile round trips. I've started to always drive it at 2,000 rpm and now it easily goes there without pushing it. Today spotted a 1942 Dodge pickup in a drive way. So stopped and visited. Body was rust free, dent free, but under the hood was a GM V8.  Will get a photo today. 

Found the photo below, so seems my truck should pull a boat also.

IMG_5319.JPG