"On the Road Again" with Phoenix

I am aware of the need for clean metal, another reason to bolt / screw it together. On strength, I believe the strength of a structure is the combination of the total. For example, it is easy to break one pencil, very difficult to break three held together by easily breakable rubber bands. Carpel Tunnel procedure today so have time to mull this over.

Will add a storage area with the forward side at an angle similar to the windshield, at 55 mph wind load should be minimal. Tube strength, with hard board backing and triangular bracing, the structure should be sufficient. 

Just returned from carpal tunnel surgery, so will be set back a few. 

So Worden, my report is in!

Temporary cat hotel or full time?

They only need a cubicle! ;)

No matches allowed!

DJ

I'm going to bolt through at all connectors the reinforce for shear strength an wind loading with properly placed plywood triangles. It looks a little cruce now, but all squared up will be a nice frame. Since the top of the camper now is very light, the strength should be very sufficient. Additionally, the truck cab cuts through the air which should leave some vacuum space begin for.

Ive got to be very careful with my wrist, so easy to reach for something. . . .

Edited by pflaming

Ya looking for a new project Paul  ?   ;)

May know of a short wheelbase Dodge flathead 6 with  flatbed in Modesto area! Make your own cab-over?

DJ

NO NEW PROJECTS.i will finish what I have clean out my shop and do fun things. There are so many things to see in a 250 mile radius from my house, work has lost all attraction for me.

zachary and are are going to stay Saturday night in Groveland, ca on the way to Yosemite. The streets are so narrow the can only park on one side.

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

Jeff, please explain, "You are dreaming"?

Refer below. Before I continue, I'm going to listen to Jeff, Merle, and Don and check this all out. My wrist needs more healing time anyway.

Edited by pflaming

Relax everyone, Been checking around and have abandoned the build! 

Please advise. Will my '52 B3B safely haul a camper like this one. This is about 100 miles from me. It was his fathers hunting/fishing camper mostly in the Sierra Mountains, our back yard. Is mine for less than $400. 

My surgery is healing really nice, just protect it for another 10 days and it will be good to go.

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

Edited by pflaming

1 hour ago, pflaming said:

Please advise. Will my '52 B3B safely haul a camper like this one. This is about 100 miles from me. It was his fathers hunting/fishing camper mostly in the Sierra Mountains, our back yard. Is mine for less than $400. 

I am happy to hear this. My Dad and I came very close to being killed years ago. The plywood roof of a homemade camper lifted off on the 5 Fwy and bounced feet in front of the sports car we were in. Good thing our car was only about 40" high as the bouncing sheet of plywood just cleared our roof when we went under it. Car behind us was not so lucky and there were severe injuries. It wasnt til the paramedics arrived that we realized how shook up we were. And of course the guy in the piece of crap camper kept going probably oblivious to how he had affected others. This sort of stuff happens all the time but hopefully none of us are involved.

Paul I have thought about this camper/trailer thing quite a bit the last few years. I think either a pop up tent trailer or a teardrop make the most sense for trucks like ours. My opinion for what it is worth.

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

My surgery is healing really nice, just protect it for another 10 days and it will be good to go.

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

1 ton suspension and duals would be the only way I would put that train wreck in the back of one of my trucks.

13 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

then you run into the issue of collector insurance that will actually cover you when towing. be aware most won't

Yep and If you are using this like a daily driver then you ought to have a standard type policy at the very least. Because mine is above 4000# and I use it for work I have commercial plates. Minimum coverage on Commercial vehicles here in California has much higher limits than a standard policy and that is just fine with me.  Still only costs me about $750 a year. Safe not sorry.