"On the Road Again" with Phoenix

I'm joining Worton to document my experiences with my '52 B3B. In the next four weeks I will be taking short special Pre-BBQ jaunts to shake down unknown little items. One new associated wrinkle, I'm building an Airstream style camper for overnight stays. I salvaged a hoard of tubing from a wind destroyed shade, and a large amount of quality semi-trailer, thin aluminum top skin. So will attempt to use mostly discarded materials.  With two fold-down sides for sofabeds, and a mini-kitchen across the front of the bed, it will be a nice two man, husband-wife sleeper. Details to follow. Attached is the current construction of the roof. 

To be continued. 

IMG_2468.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

I just do a little each day. My legs are improving. California mountains have many interesting free camp sites. These are small construction sites close to water sources, that were not large enough for full development, so they kept the site but undeveloped yet maintained by the park service.

attachment is my build sketch.

IMG_2470.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

Like I said, do a little each day. Now I can square, cut and weld the tubular frame together. First to complete the wood bed box. The tube frame should not take very long. I will sketch out the tubes required this evening. 

The corner tubes will be 4'6" tall to give head clearance of 6'2".  If I think a lower roof line is better, I can fab a 6' X 36" popup in the front center of the roof. That can be done later. Essentials first. 

IMG_2476.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 5:38 AM, pflaming said:

I'm joining Worton to document my experiences with my '52 B3B. In the next four weeks I will be taking short special Pre-BBQ jaunts to shake down unknown little items. One new associated wrinkle, I'm building an Airstream style camper for overnight stays. I salvaged a hoard of tubing from a wind destroyed shade, and a large amount of quality semi-trailer, thin aluminum top skin. So will attempt to use mostly discarded materials.  With two fold-down sides for sofabeds, and a mini-kitchen across the front of the bed, it will be a nice two man, husband-wife sleeper. Details to follow. Attached is the current construction of the roof. 

To be continued. 

IMG_2468.JPG

Kool and I dig the " salvaging" theme free and cheap is best.

Have you asked your Wife if she will sleep in it?☮

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

28 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Fargo, this statement was in our wedding vows " Whither thou goest, lodgest I will go!

Any further questions??

No further questions, Your Honor, I rest my case..

On 3/12/2018 at 2:41 PM, pflaming said:

Fargo, this statement was in our wedding vows " Whither thou goest, lodgest I will go!

Any further questions??

We know who's in Charge on this project...

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire
  • Like 1

I'm cutting mine back to 60 inches with a pop up section 5' x 36"and I'm eliminating all wood. Going all tubular welded frame and laminated aluminum skin ( aluminum / insulation / aliminum ). The reduced height and weight will significantly change driving in the mountains. Air shocks will likely be a must. 

I set set up a temporary work table at the alley door and started laying it out. I will bend the pipe for the side walls. It won't take very long. Tomorrow will square and spot weld all connections, then will teach my 13 year old grandson how to wire weld and he can finish it. That type of sustained welding is what truly teaches one how to weld. He'll be quite good by the time he's finished.

to be continued. . . .

IMG_2485.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Late night hour planning, great time to mull over ideas. I was wondering how to attach unloading storage jacks and how to put a light boat,  kayaks, etc., on top. Incorporated into the frame, these will be very strong. With a reduced height, a top rack is feasible. Dawn is breaking, best get one more sleep cycle in. 

Side thought, if I allow passage ways from connection to connection when I weld this together, the tubular frame could be the water carrier through out the camper for the kitchen sink, the shower head, etc. H,m,m,m, or if I lived in Wisconsin or Minneapolis could connect to a beer keg and put in a couple of spigots. Be great for ice fishing or GB/MV/CB's tailgating. For tailgating, put spigots all the way around, gut lots of Coors Beer kegs and have a "Refreshment Center" .LOL

To to be continued 

IMG_2488.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Awesome! Long term plan for my project truck is to build something very similar - except I was going to use a mixture of steel framework, wood panels, and use a multi-layered canvas for the top and some of the sides. Then I could say roll up some of the canvas on one side and have ventilation.

I was going to mount my top right to the top bed rails - have some sort of gasket to seal out moisture. It wouldn't provide much insulation on the sides and floor - but it would make for a nice little get away machine when the weather is decent.

Jeff: it is on the engine manifold. I will fab an oven to fit on top, then a thermostat and gauge on the dash. Temp + time = done, longer with sirloin than with meatloaf. 

Lonejackberry: yes an air hole in the top and maybe a grease tube to the engine vent tube, AND a fire extinguisher close by. 

Edited by pflaming

Well, just sat down in my shop office lazy boy. 4:00 pm, no wonder I'm winded. Anyway, I dismantled the wooden top design and worked on a totally tubular frame. Will bend tubing for the top rounded edges today (Wednesday) Trim two pieces to length and the end frames are ready to square and weld. 

Then weld in the horizontal side rails and I will have a standing tubular, strong, light weight frame to cover with aluminum tin.

IMG_2492.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Well, a huge step today. This end panel is ready to spot weld. Then lay it on a good flat surface and complete it. As much as I wanted the rounded top edge, several issues surfaced. One was that it really complicated the frame / layout bed design, the second, the rounder corners made top cabinet space very limited, and I need every inch if space. So top square shoulders and flat top. 

Carpel Tunnel procedure tomorrow so I will be working late tonight. I just noted the top two corner joints are incorrect. 

IMG_2493.JPG

D________", I haven't welded in a coon's age, but this tubing is as thin as the tin foil in a gum wrapper. It's going to take some ugly welding to find the steady hand. The power coating doesn't help either, yet it burns off quickly. Running a bead is highly unlikely,

, spot welding I spect. May have to drill holes and bolt it together. H,m,m,m,m 

IMG_2494.JPG

get that cat out there with the torch!

I really like the project, looking good. I would think making rounded corners would involve a different framing process.

Making a corner out of steel, then use it as a template duplicate and  add to the corner to each of the trusses. Just more work and is it really worth it?

And you are correct about less storage space, working on a old travel trailer with the rounded corners, it is a little extra effort and less space.

Then could you imagine using a english wheel to get the outer skin to lay down and sit pretty?

To use period correct rounded corners, would add 6 months on to your project. Some of us want to use the few little 6 months we have left, for more gratifying goals.

I love where your going, keep it up!

Our current POTUS said, always have a plan B. So will drill and secure with screws. Question, would pop rivets be better. This cone bit is fast, but will still need center punch, maybe if I grind off the powder coating at the spot faster than punch. 

Many Airstream designs have square shoulders so aluminum skin and pop rivers will have to do. 

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG