265 Dampner

40Club

I'd want to use the damper for sure.

Hire someone competent to open up the front of the frame if you cannot for clearance.

It can be done with a factory look.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spelling correction
  • Thanks 1

'40 Club,

You definitely should have a vibration dampener on an automotive application!

All of us, face the same clearance issues when we replace a 23" engine with a 25" one. A readily available solution is to use a Canadian passenger car dampener. It is a combination dampener and pulley, that shortens the front crankshaft area dimension by approximately 1" and also has a smaller diameter. Illustrated below is my (upside down) 265 with this set-up!

Walt

IMG_2002.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The vibration dampener is a good thing but very few Plymouths ever had them.  Contrary to what the others have said, I would give it a try without.

I am assuming your car is a Canadian model.  Space up front is tight. 

I hope a damper is not needed, as I plan to run a 265 in my '49 Power Wagon without a damper.  I've done a LOT of digging and hard a somewhat difficult time finding a definitive answer on whether they are really needed on a 265, but did e-mail or otherwise correspond with a few folks running Power Wagons or similar vehicles with 265's and no dampers, and they have not had any problems so far.  I'm glad to see dpollo say that they really are not needed.  The Power Wagons and, I believe, many other trucks did not come from the factory with dampers on the 230's and 251's.  Not sure about 265's.

How about a call to some very experienced people on the Power Wagons?

https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/

DJ

34 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

How about a call to some very experienced people on the Power Wagons?

https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/

DJ

Yep, I spoke to them, and they thought a damper would not be needed, although they didn't seem to be 100% sure.  I don't think it was based on personal experience with a 265 in a Power Wagon.  A 265 in a Power Wagon is not a common transplant, so there aren't a lot of guys with experience with that.  And of course, a Power Wagon may not be the same in this regard as a 40 Plymouth, as owned by the original poster.

I've bought 6 of the 25" engines in the past few years.  Two of which were 265"s and none of them had a dampener.  five of them were from 1.5 or larger truck engines.  The one Chrysler car engine that had been transplanted into a big truck didn't have one either.  I guess it could have had one but was removed  When transplanted into the truck.  There was a thread several months ago on this topic.  After reading it, I'm not planning on a dampener on the 265 that is going into my Chrysler roadster.  Someone had mentioned that the damper may be more important on the engines with offset connecting rods if I remember correctly.   I don't know if that theory is true or not.    

The one 265 that I bought came from a truck I remember seeing daily as kid.  The gentleman that owned it hauled pallets of stone every day.  The truck would be wound  up pretty good when he approached a  hill.  It was this guys livelihood but he never babied it.  That truck was 30 years old at the time.     I also have a truck that hauled coal from 1947 to 1972.  I have the weigh slips where it routinely hauled 10.000 lbs of coal.  This truck had the 237 engine with no dampener but did have a governor.  

I think if I had a dampener and room was not a concern then I would use it.  But in my case, I'm mating a 265 (bored .060,dual carbs dual exhaust,and cam) to a R10 OD and 3.90 gears.  I think I should have plenty of torque to push a 2700 lbs roadster at rpms that I don't have to worry about a dampener.

I would love to hear first hand from those who have driven vehicles with 265 or a 251 that compare any differences between engines with and without a dampener.  

Rob

• Thanks 2

On the 3-4 ton trucks they were mandatory to help prevent crank and cam breakage.;)

I agree you probably don't need it.

I feel my 265 engine with the Harmonic damper  is a smoother running sounding engine than my factory 2-1/2 tonner 251 with out one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

'40Club,

I picked up my 'Canadian passenger car dampener/pulley' from a Canadian Mopar Flathead enthusiast. Specify it this way, because you want one from a 25" flathead engine.

First off, I would put an ad in the "wanted" classified section of this site. Another possibility, would be to inquire with Canadian eBay Mopar vendors. Also, remember to specify the fan belt size you're using! 

Walt

• Thanks 1

I did a quick survey in the shop last night. My 25" motor with factory carbs and dual exhaust has a huge damper, a different 25" motor has a small damper on the front, my industrial 265 has none, and a 25" motor that I believe came out of a truck had none. I didn't get a chance to take a look at the engine in my 1-1/2T to see its damper status.

Small Damper

20180313_183255.jpg.f5ed83c875e4be0c1ae90c2a621cbd94.jpg

Large Damper

20180313_183233.jpg.7f7cd639dd5943023da05661aa17f038.jpg

• Thanks 1

The small damper is the typical one I've always seen on the 265's in cars.

That big damper I've seen on the big 3-4 ton Moly block sixes and  truck 3-4 ton  Hemi heavy duty engines.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The small damper is the typical one I've always seen on the 265's in cars.

That big damper I've seen on the big 3-4 ton Moly block sixes and  truck 3-4 ton  Hemi heavy duty engines.

I was told this engine was out of a firetruck. It has dual carb and dual exhaust and is a 25" engine. I can't find anything stamped into the pad on the engine block and someone has added throttle governors under the carbs (and then removed the butterflies!). Beyond that I don't know much about it.

• Thanks 1

There was a guy on here with a 265 twin carb motor 2-1/2 tonner  with that same big diameter damper. I have a NOS one that I am going to have to see what if any part #'s are on it.

• Thanks 1

I was digging through a shelf of parts today and found damper that looks like the small one pictured.  I didn't know I had it.  It must have come off the car engine that I tore apart.  in any case I'm going to clean it up and use it on my build.  There is a layer of internal rubber that I could see.  It appears to be in decent condition.  I'm not going to soak it so as not to mess up the rubber.  Is that rubber replaceable if you separate it?  Only reason I ask is because I know how other 68 year old rubber parts have deteriorated. 

After reading dodgeb4yas post on the damper engine being a little smoother, I think I'd probably regret not using it knowing that I could have.  

Rob