light bulb sockets

garyp

Getting to the end on my 39 Dodge business coupe frameoff restro and am trying to find new sockets for tail and parking lights 6 volt not having any luck again any help would be appreciated.

The absolute best sockets you will ever find are Ron Francis special billet aluminum sockets. They come in single and dual filament sockets and use a large nut to tighten down, so there is no crimping and everything holds tight. They will take a 6v bulb of the right size. On my '51 Chevy I saved the original license plate light using one. The baseplate was severely rotten and the socket was part of the baseplate. I cut the socket off and cleaned up the base plate, put a single filiment RF socket in place and it worked and fit perfect. https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RR-11

Wow, those are beautiful!  For $26 a pop they better be...

His 6v LED brake light looks great too, but again for $28 it's not cheap, and it says "requires" his $17 dollar resistor in order to work.  Ouch.  But, you get what you pay for I guess!  Good solution if you want to retrofit bright LED lights.  Anybody try the Technostalgia brake light assemblies for the 46-48 Plymouth?  I'm hoping they come out with the same for the Dodges.

http://cool-leds.com/led-taillights-plymouth.htm

Edited by ebruns1
incorrect item price, updated

Are cigarette lighters voltage sensitive? I want to use a 6V+ to 12V- converter so I can use the lighter socket to charge cell phones, etc. Can I keep the original lighter and socket?

Pete

12 volt lighter sockets are smaller diameter compared to 6 volt.   The six volt lighter works about four times as fast on 12 volts

but then who needs a lighter in their car anymore ?

If you need it as a power supply you will have to substitute a 12 volt socket to fit your device.