Kingpins Question

How do you know it won't come the same way?  The kit you have is easy to put together..is it as good..maybe not..but unless your planning this to be a daily driver at high speeds or a lot of in town running around and turns...you'd likely never know the difference

How do you put the washers into the caps. I think you would have to put the brass washer in between the 2 metal washers. I guess when you put it together you need to put grease in between the washers so it has some way to move. There was no washers that came with this in case you need to tighten it up. I guess all I can do is try it and see.

I want to everyone in the forum a one favoe to take photos of the process of  how they change the the kingpin would be very educational for many in the forum I am in that step and I am whit many duobts 

thanks

I just want to be clear on something...you cannot buy the new parts, until you have already taken apart the truck and measured your pins, as their are different sizes, and you can't interchange them.  I thought someone had put up a detailed thread on changing?

Anywho....yes..cup, steel washer, brass thrust washer and then steel washer and cup, with good quality grease in between IMO, and the thin shim under all of that, only if needed of course.  They should be almost hard to turn to start with, and few turns under pressure and that will all go away, but if it's loose and still wiggles after install, then more shims are needed.

18 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

He’s here in Canada...we get fleeced shipping across the line, that’s why I pick all of my parts up across the border, but they don’t like you crossing back with anything.

The washer bearing set up is likely just fine if it’s a Moog product, it’s just flat/bearing washer/flat for install, if it’s the kind I’m thinking of.

If you really want ball bearings, it may be easier to just search for 'ball thrust bearing' on Google.  then see if you can find your size, ID and OD.  They aren't really expensive and may be less hassle than returning, reorder etc. 

b

If you buy another kit now, all you can use is the bearings, no guarantee the pins are exact, so your buying somewhat expensive bearings, and I can't imagine finding individual ones the correct size sold separate

So I got my spindles back with the bushings pushed in and I asked the question so you reamed the bushings so the kingpins fit right. Nope don't have a reamer that size to do that. I said to the guy I have to pay you and pay another guy to ream them. He says sorry I screwed up and you ow me nothing. So that's good the bushing have been pushed in. Now to find someone to ream them. 

Edited by bambamshere

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm back in business yet but getting there. Trying to figure out the brakes. Got to bleed them all but they are rubbing around the wheel cylinders and weren't when I started. 

Edited by bambamshere