Kingpins Question

I don’t know if it’s like on the cars but i have a dust cover on the top of the pin you can remove it to take the diameter measure without removing the pin :) i do it for my car cause i’m in france and before ordering something i check everything to be sure haha  

the 38 on my diagrams

for the length it’s almost the sale size as the knuckle it self +- 3 milimeters

image.jpg.a9d6f7a532b0ccb6b957dce5c38652aa.jpg

Edited by Adrian41D-19

Has anyone ever heard of taking the top dust cover off and putting some pb blaster in it. Will it loosen the kingpin or is this just silly thinking. Heard of it. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried it and does kingpin come out any easier

• 2 months later...

Ok so next question about buying the king pins. There is ballbearing on there right now. But what is the big difference between washer bearing and ballbearing. Is one better then the other. Should I just stick with ballbearing and the nylon bushing or is metal better

Thats what I thought just looking at the moog site at there 8453B set. Seems like Rock Auto has to photos for this number though. One that looks like a washer bearing the other with ballbearing. Anyone know which one it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the king pins out this weekend. 1 was very easy to come out as it looked like it had been done in the past 10 or so years but when I got it out the bearing was seized. Then I did the other took about half hr of heating and it came out. The bearing in that one was siezed also. I took the tie rods off also and will change them. They took the longest to get out. Heating them up took a bit but they are out now. 

The bar for the tie rods is bent a bit and looks like some one was tapping on it. Is this bar bent because of it getting aligned or is there a different reason?

So I got the king pin set today and it had a washer bearing and not the ball bearing like I was hoping for. Not sure what to do now. How hard is it to install a washer bearing king pin set. I know what to do with a ball bearing set. I got it from rock auto and sent them a email. I checked with moog before sending for it and a few other places. They all had ball bearing washer. It has the correct number on it but not the right set

well not sure what do now the return cost on this item is going to cost more then it is worth. I don't know how to install a washer thrust bearing. Can anyone help me out please. wish there was some sort of instructions. I have tried looking on line and can't seem to find anything 

31 minutes ago, kencombs said:

Return postage shouldn't be that much, a flat rate box from USPS should work.

As to instructions, a pic of what you have would help.

He’s here in Canada...we get fleeced shipping across the line, that’s why I pick all of my parts up across the border, but they don’t like you crossing back with anything.

The washer bearing set up is likely just fine if it’s a Moog product, it’s just flat/bearing washer/flat for install, if it’s the kind I’m thinking of.

3 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

He’s here in Canada...we get fleeced shipping across the line, that’s why I pick all of my parts up across the border, but they don’t like you crossing back with anything.

The washer bearing set up is likely just fine if it’s a Moog product, it’s just flat/bearing washer/flat for install, if it’s the kind I’m thinking of.

Look at the first picture above and it will show you what type it is. I was actually thinking of sending this set back and getting a acdelco set with ball bearing but it is going to cost more then the set cost with shipping to get here. Do you have any idea after I get bushing installed how to install the washer bearings on truck or even a video that shows it. 

9 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Based on that picture, I’m guessing that the stamped cups hold it all. Likely a brass thrust washer between 2 steel washers. 

I'm guessing put some grease in between everything 

I'd get the ball bearing setup any day over that other type that I have never seen before.

Have seen many with the ball bearings and shims to take out any slack on many types of straight  axles.

But just My opinion!

DJ

2 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

I'd get the ball bearing setup any day over that other type that I have never seen before.

Have seen many with the ball bearings and shims to take out any slack on many types of straight  axles.

But just My opinion!

DJ

Been definitely tginking of buying that set but not sure who I shoild go through. I see that rock auto has one it is Acdelco #45F0044. I have to figure out what to do with the one I have.