Kingpins Question

Ok so I have this 56 Fargo 1Ton and I have been reading a lot and figuring out what kingpins I need for it. Think now I have figured it all out. Now I haven't done anything yet to it. I was under the front end looking at them the other day and noticed something weird. I have always been told if I was going to repair a shock lets say then change the other even if it looks new. 

Ok with saying that. I was looking at the state of the kingpins and one looks new. At least everything around it looks new. Plus there is no play in it whats so ever. On the other side it is really loose and looks like it has been on the truck since it was new. Why would they change one and not the other? I mean they come as a set. I will still be doing both even if it is newish. The more I get in to this truck the more I scratch my head. 

Edited by bambamshere

3 minutes ago, pflaming said:

ONLY your head? By the time you finish, you will have scratch marks even where the sun doesn't shine! LOL

Lol I can see that. I just finished taking a 2" itch off back. Bought 3/4 inch ratchet and 2" socket. What could go wrong. I was reefing on it. The socket slipped. The 80 year old woman next door probably heard some words she hasn't in a very long time. 

Same with the ones I just did...two different pins in my axle...same size, but different grooves for the retaining bolt.  The one took lots of heat and piles of beating...the other one took about 2 good whacks and sailed out and hit the floor.

Rockauto does carry some, but mine were the odd ball size, so they don't carry them.  MidCanada is a rare parts dealer, so he can get them, but they were cheaper on eBay, so I went that way.  Use a good digital caliber to measure your pins...the two options are pretty close 

• 2 weeks later...

So lets say someone was thinking of buying a adjustable hand reamer to do the bushings for the kingpins. What size would be good. Asking for a friend. God I love it when people use that line. Lol

I know generally I need one long enough to do both but it is the diamenter that screwing me up. I have found them on Acklands Grainger and even Amazon mut should it be MM or Sae. 

Lol....tell your friend that these king pin kits aren't cheap and you can't just buy new bushings once he/she messes up on their first set, and that for the price of the tool they will likely never need again, a professional can make it so the pins are much tighter, and absolutely safer.  It's great to try and do as much in house work as possible, but some jobs are better suited to a machine shop

For a one-off job, 4mula-dlx probably has the best advice, assuming that you can find a competent and trustworthy machine shop.

If you really want to try it yourself (which is the only way to learn), I've had good experiences working with the guys at this place: http://www.chadwickreamers.com/spiral_king.php

Ok so I think but not sure yet that I will goung to machine shop. Does anyone in Manitoba know a good machine shop and about how much it might be to get the bushing pressed in and reamed? Also should I take the beam with me. Can't be that hard to rebuild after the barrings have been put in.

You just need your spindle assembly, the actual axle shouldn't see any wear...but you can check that with your new king pins before you head to the machine shop.

Are you in Winnipeg? I know a few shops, but I don't know Winnipeg shops well enough

On 10/03/2018 at 3:56 AM, bambamshere said:

I can only hope it works that way lol. The one dropping to the floor that is. We will see. Where did you get the kingpins for yours at 4mula-dlx? 

For my experience is so much easier quicker and safer to remove the steering knukle assy and spindle from the car and pull out the pins with an hydraulic shop press :) same for the rings and bearings guide. 

Edited by Adrian41D-19

Just now, Adrian41D-19 said:

For my experience is so much easier quicker and safer to remove the steering knukle assy from the car and pull out the pins with an hydraulic shop press :) same for the rings and bearings guide. 

That would be great to do but I want to take them out and measure them and make sure I get the right pins. 

I do this job twice in my life on my 41 and on 48 dodge (cars not truck) a friend let me use his press and he have some hand machine tools to grind properly the rings it’s not an hard job but a precision job :) 

7 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

That would be great to do but I want to take them out and measure them and make sure I get the right pins. 

7 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

Of course. Can’t you let the truck on a jack stand for a while? The time to find the pins?