Which carburetor?

Kiwicranbrook

D6H2 B&B

• Like 1

Kiwi........here in Oz the standard repair to most if not all mopar single barrel carbys from the late 30's to the late 50's is to replace them with a single barrel Holden Stromberg from the late 60's to late 70's..easy to find, cheap, easy to rebuild and fit straight onto the mopar intake manifold with minimal linkage changes........get one from a 186 or ideally 202 Holden Red motor.............yeh I know that its not stock but I'm no restorer...........lol.........andyd   

Thats what I intended to use, see pic......these were from I think a HK/HT/HG Holden and bolted straight onto the Offy twin carb intake.........also the 41 Plymouth Coupe I had was an older "restoration" and came with a Holden Stromberg on the 201 original engine and worked fine, see pic.................andyd

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

• Like 1

Thats a Beehive Oil Filter, I think they originated in the USA in the 1930's or 1940's and have been a regular addition to hotted up flathead Fords since then, they are available as a reproduction item which is what that one is, from memory I bought it thru Speedway Motors in the USA when I had the 41 Plymouth which would have been about 2008-2009 and it was about $200-250US from memory however the braided stainless steel hoses cost about $140.00 Oz from a local hydraulic hose shop so it was an expensive item but back then I had a few dollars to spend ......so I did........lol...........you maybe able to get it from any NZ hot rod shop that plays with flathead Fords... or from Speedway Motors in the USA............one good thing was that the filter came with a list of about 10 different brands of oil filter elements that fitted it which I posted a new thread of the list about 10 days ago............andyd        

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey AndyD, does that Holden Stromberg carb from the 1960's go by any other name?  I'm checking Ebay and the only hits I'm getting for carbs with "holden" are all shipping from Oz.  Did that go be another name in the US maybe?  If those are a better reliable option to swap for my 48 dodge I would be all in!  Thanks.  

Jim

On 3/11/2018 at 3:32 AM, Andydodge said:

Kiwi........here in Oz the standard repair to most if not all mopar single barrel carbys from the late 30's to the late 50's is to replace them with a single barrel Holden Stromberg from the late 60's to late 70's..easy to find, cheap, easy to rebuild and fit straight onto the mopar intake manifold with minimal linkage changes........get one from a 186 or ideally 202 Holden Red motor.............yeh I know that its not stock but I'm no restorer...........lol.........andyd   

After more research maybe it's called the Stromberg WW or WWC carb here.  What do you think about using one on my 1948 Dodge flat 6 with fluid drive?  Do I need to get one with an auto choke?  It seems like there are many different versions.  Not sure what would be compatible with Fluid Drive however.  Anyone have a thought on that?  Thanks!

Ebruns, these single barrel carbys were used firstly on the 1948 Holden with a 132/138 cube six and had a smaller mounting flange spacing than the Carter used on Mopars, then in the the early 60's Holden released an updated six which when updated to 186/202 cubes used an updated Stromberg carby with the same size mounting flange as the Mopar Carter and are the one thats pictured on my two pics in the above post..........whether a variation was ever used in the USA I'm unsure but as there were a few million probably used here they are still an easy option for us downunder.........as for a WW Stromberg these were a 2 barrel carby that was also used on the first "hipo" version of the 186 six then became the standard carby on the Holden 253 cube V8 in the 60/70's..............the carbys were made by the Bendix corporation here in Oz and sold as Bendix Strombergs if thats any use................regards, andyd       

• 1 month later...

Ebruns.....I'd be surprised if these single barrel Strombergs were not used in some form in the USA but am not aware if they are........here in Oz they were a simple,easy to obtain somewhat modern upgrade...........the 2 barrel WW Stromberg was from what I understand basically a copy of or similar to the Carter BBD....as for whether one would fit your 48 Dodge so long as you use a 2:1 adaptor or even better would be to find a mid/late 50's Plymouth 2 barrel intake manifold that should bolt straight onto your engine..........I'm not very familiar with the Fluid Drive setup as they were not common here in Oz so can't help re any electrical connections that they use or need..........andyd.    

Tub.....wasn't aware of the Ford Falcon use but that doesn't surprise me, being to suit the 250 Falcon it would be a good hipo upgrade me thinks too..............andyd