We and the Windsor 2018

keithb7

Once you learn these caps on removal they are easy.

The four spring clips retain these caps pretty tight... most all nice chrome caps are repro's and the spring clips on some are tighter than others compared to the original caps.

The framers hammer is what I have used for a long time and is very controllable and easy ... just don't force the ears and break them. 

Sometimes do one ear a bit the the other... the cap will easily come off...have a blanket or rags in case the cap gets away from you!

• Like 1

Offhand, what paint code/color is your 53?  My 52 is very similar in shade, (what's left to see) and since it's in storage I haven't had a chance to get over to get the color code.  

The other 52 I have is more of a seafoam mint, incase you're thrown off by the profile photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a fall cruise today. Was a beautiful day. Lots of folks approached me to discuss my car. One of my favourite stops is the gas station. I doddle there checking the oil. Polishing the glass.  It seems every single time, I get folks approaching me there. I like it there for some reason. Feels kinda at home there at the gas station, me doing my own self-serve checks. 

I drove up past my house to snap this pic. Scary as heck leaving the car on a hill. I put the wheel chock in place and set the park brake. But...with no transmission park feature, if she gets rolling there is no stopping her. Especially if I am watching from across the road. Lol. 

D975E7AC-2B68-4198-A7CF-AC7E94D5E5CC.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

• 4 months later...

Today I installed my used "new-to-me" rims. In my opinion a very classy improvement. I went to a friend's home-garage who owns a tire machine and balancer. I helped and had some good learnings.  I happily paid him for his time and tool use. 

4o-OSSCNuS-Hu2CRnK-iAbHon6o8w6uwctccSgjo

• Like 1

That car is so nice... more so with the correct optional wires...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keithb7 said:

It seems some folks are unable to see the pic with my new rims. I will upload it here in a different way.

New Rims.jpg

Thanks! I’m one of those that see a box with numbers and letters.  Beautiful car!

That looks great, interesting too that the window tint if anything helps to accentuate the colour........very nice..........andyd 

• Like 1

First short drive of 2019. Around the block. It’s hard waiting for spring.

The heater sure adds an interesting element to cruising...Seems like there’s an “Old Car Smell” air-freshener tucked up in the heating duct. Smells that can trigger memories. Somehow it smells like going for a drive with my Grandpa in 1975, in his old car. Well I guess his car was probably 10 years old in 1975!

BA668B42-54E1-454C-85DA-ED27F9BFF0D0.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Woke up to these skies. Looks like its a Saturday morning cruise day. First and foremost, you gotta have your priorities straight.

9318CC39-6C5D-4538-89E9-16594FDA0A39.jpeg

• Like 1

I should have added that today I felt pretty good out cruising. The big Chrysler drives so well. The  steering so light and fluid feeling, yet its manual. The power smooth like silk. The suspension rolling along so nicely I felt like I could have driven all day. Like a big floating luxury car. The seat springs are wonderful. 

These old cars are sure built well. I admire the big old Detroit iron. What a beauty she is. 

• Like 1

That sure is a pretty green. I am tempted to ask what you had to pay for the wire wheels,but I am not sure my old heart could stand the shock.

@knuckleharley I paid about $550 US total for all 4 rims. Worth the investment in my opinion. I feel that the wire wheels bring the class up a notch or two.  They were used of course. Not perfect but just right for my “driver” old car. 

This Chrysler has been very good to me. For every $1 and every hour I put in, is repays me ten-fold in both satisfaction and pleasure. It’s been a great experience for me in my “First Classic Car” venture.

This car has me...Hook-line-and sinker. I look forward to the family cruises this coming season. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

The caps if premium chrome can double the price if not included with the wires.

I went to a regional swap meet today. Did not drive the Windsor as it is about a 3 hr drive one-way. Visited my Brother. We went for a cruise in his '66 Corvair. Had a great time at the swap meet and located an original 1953 Chrysler brochure that the dealers would have given out.  This brochure has the Salesman's name and dealer name on it. Harold Barnes.  CS Hamilton Motor Co. Dallas Texas. It's a great brochure that folds out into a good sized poster. Price was $7 US funds.

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I looked up the dealer and found this pic. 710 North Pearl St. Dallas Tx. Based on the cars, it would appear to maybe be 1960-ish?

IMG_3751.png

710 N Pearl St. Dallas Tx today.

Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 8.23.28 PM.png

Edited by keithb7

Looking at old Chrysler ads, I always felt my rear end seemed a little high. Today I learned that for photo ops, they used to fill the trunk and around the engine, under the bonnet with sandbags. This would make the car look lower and longer. Comparing the original '53 ad and my original car,  that statement appears correct. Tricky deceptive buggars!

IMG_3750.jpg

• Like 1

Artistic license I believe it called, encouraged by the sales dept.

DJ

18 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Artistic license I believe it called, encouraged by the sales dept.

DJ

The techniques changed but the idea continued when they switched to photographing actual cars for ads. I believe its out of print but if you can find a copy of Boulevard Photographic it goes into one ad agency and all the different tricks they used on the cars. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boulevard-Photographic-Art-Automotive-Advertising/dp/0760303053/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=boulevard+photographic&qid=1554302246&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Comparing the two images in Post #121, use a straight-edge, even a business card, to compare angles, corner to corner. 

For example, on the photo at the bottom, sight in the angle at the front door window, from the bottom rear corner to the upper front corner.  Now, sight in the same angle on the illustration at the top.  The window opening has been stretched.  Sight in along the A-post to the rear of the front tire on the photo, and compare to the illustration.   Hmmm.

Edited by DonaldSmith
dmn typos (damn typos)