We and the Windsor 2018

keithb7

Tonight about 15 cars got together for a little cruise followed by a Dairy Queen stop. Very very smokey here from all the forest fires across British Columbia. We saw our local vintage steam train go by full of tourists. We stopped to let them have a look at our cars. We had a few good laughs over some ice creme later. Was a great night.

FKnNq31Xo-wQPy37tUajAcotICyV3Oj9ztcQqzFL

L-R  1948 Cadillac. 1940's? Packard. My '53 Green Chrysler Windsor Deluxe. A rare 1960 Frontenac, Red wagon. A 1955 Ford in the back and a tan 1964 Studebaker Avanti.

I was told that In 1960, Ford/Mercury came out with a Comet for the USA. Nothing was offered for the Canadian market. The Canadian dealers asked for something new and they offered the Frontenac for the Canadian market only. It has 11 Maple Leaf flags on it in various places. No brand Marque on it, just Frontenac. Here it is again below , as the steam train chugs by.

ZlWQjf8IIQ78bel0y0aBMkmNg7OVPJDmoZo4V1sb

V2rrh1dfurEc72EYZpUKT2PtVg7Be0wASJ2LhT09

Keeping the Mopar theme going here....My '53 is further back in this photo, with the large group of people checking it out. LOL. Actually the '64 Avanti was behind me. They were looking at the V8 shoe horned in there. 

Lots of thumbs up and compliments for my old '53 tonite from passers-bye. It brings me pleasure and the love affair carries on.

Edited by keithb7

• 2 weeks later...

Family in town over the past few days. We had a great cruise last night. Wound up at Dairy Queen of course. A great night for a real nice cruise.

Lovin’ the 4 doors. Getting lots of use touring family and friends around. 

3F86D93A-8F09-4173-AB24-7B08C84F845F.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

Enjoying your posts & pix. Very interested in your fuel problem. What has been the solution? 

Thanks. I’m not so sure I have a fuel problem. The one day I drove up a steep hill in about 87 F or so ambient temps, Maybe I did. I was in low gear, throttle Is between 3/4 to full open. About 5 mins up steep winding incline. Maintaining about 30 Mph top speed. 

I reach the top of the hill.  My neighbor flags me down. I stop. Shut off the engine and we chat for about 10 mins. Likely My hot block percolated the fuel in the adjacent fuel line. No start. No how. Once engine and fuel line cooled down all was good again. 

Thise exact conditions have not occured again. Our warm August temps have turned a corner.  Its cooler here now up in Canada. 

I have not done anything about another possible future vapor lock.  I have driven the car and same hill many times since that day. Trouble free. 

This winter during hibernation, I may install a 6V in line electric fuel pump with a momentary toggle switch. We’ll see. 

Edited by keithb7

The earlier fuel issue I had, I actually ran out of fuel. Fuel gage read ¼, yet the tank was empty. Not a big deal. I just keep the tank over ¼ now. Has not been an issues since that one time. 

We live, we learn. All the little intricacies about my old car, I am getting them figured out. I think I am at about 1200 miles driven so far this year in my Chrysler. 

Edited by keithb7

Thx for the update. I understand about that fuel gauge. I've got 2 other "old" cars, besides the '51 Dodge pickup, and neither of those gauges work. I discovered it the exact same way you did. I just keep a record of when I last bought gas, how much, and an estimate of how many miles driven. I've managed to keep going this way for over 35 years. With the '51 Dodge pickup, the gas gauge doesn't work either. The needle moves when tested, so I know the grounds are good and the gauge is too. It must be the sending unit, and I don't want to get into trying to fix it. So, I'll do like you're doing, and I've been doing with the other 2, and just keep moving along. Happy motoring! ?

When I started driving my truck, pre shop fire, I mounted a Gerry can on the running board and ran a fuel line to a "T" in the fuel line with a diversion valve. I never ran out of gas. I shouldn't have told the cat! 

IMG_2165.JPG

• Like 1

I really admire your 1953, I have a 1954 Chrysler Windsor.  Unfortunately, I will never have the opportunity to finish my 1954.  I hope that someday I can find a loving home for it...  My neighbor has created "code" issues for me.  I hope that I don't have to send it to the crusher.  Sigh...

I hope that it will be OK to ask you a question about your lovely car.  What kind of MPG are you getting out of the 265?  I have considered putting one of those engines in my 1937 Dodge for a couple of years now.

I am so amazed how awesome looking these cars are when painted up nicely.  Really beautiful! I wish that I could restore mine...  

I can't wait to see where you travel to next. ?

8 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I hope that it will be OK to ask you a question about your lovely car.  What kind of MPG are you getting out of the 265?  I have considered putting one of those engines in my 1937 Dodge for a couple of years now.

?

I have had a few people ask me that same question @classiccarjack, unfortunately I don't know the answer. Up to this point, I enjoy cruising in my car so much, I pay absolutely no attention to the fuel economy. We tour family and friends around and have a great time. Every single time I take the car out, I stop by a gas station and put in anywhere from $10 to $20 to keep it topped up. Above the 1/4 mark, which as mentioned above is actually empty. To me my car is truly is a pleasure vehicle in the purest sense. I have little concern about the operating costs as it brings me so much joy. Not knowing the fuel burn rate feels kinda good really. As funny as that sounds, ignorance is bliss in this example.

If I had to guess. I might be inclined to say about 12-14 mpg? Maybe? Total guess.  Maybe I should figure it out? Out if interest?

Edited by keithb7

Recently a friend and I were BS-ing over my Chrysler with the hood up, engine running. He said "Holy crap. Smooth." He suggested we put a glass of water on it at idle. We did.

https://youtu.be/lSAAVPNhEfg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Recently a friend and I were BS-ing over my Chrysler with the hood up, engine running. He said "Holy crap. Smooth." He suggested we put a glass of water on it at idle. We did.

https://youtu.be/lSAAVPNhEfg

Love it!!!  Thanks for posting the video.

14 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I have had a few people ask me that same question @classiccarjack, unfortunately I don't know the answer. Up to this point, I enjoy cruising in my car so much, I pay absolutely no attention to the fuel economy. We tour family and friends around and have a great time. Every single time I take the car out, I stop by a gas station and put in anywhere from $10 to $20 to keep it topped up. Above the 1/4 mark, which as mentioned above is actually empty. To me my car is truly is a pleasure vehicle in the purest sense. I have little concern about the operating costs as it brings me so much joy. Not knowing the fuel burn rate feels kinda good really. As funny as that sounds, ignorance is bliss in this example.

If I had to guess. I might be inclined to say about 12-14 mpg? Maybe? Total guess.  Maybe I should figure it out? Out if interest?

I do understand where you are coming from and respect your answer.  Thank you.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:41 PM, pflaming said:

I'm a firm believer in electric fuel pumps. I have an extra one and tools required to change it, in my truck. One huge benefit for me is instant starting, hot or cold. 

By the way - any recommendations for a good 6 Volt electical fuel pump? thanks

This is what I use. I will burn out FAST if run dry. Possibly better ones available, I just happen to pick this on.  This installation needs some tweaking, for example the lines are only temporarily held to the frame and the pump needs a rubber cushion. Direct mount will shorten its life. 

IMG_5031.JPG

Edited by pflaming

5 hours ago, pflaming said:

This is what I use. I will burn out FAST if run dry. Possibly better ones available, I just happen to pick this on.  This installation needs some tweaking, for example the lines are only temporarily held to the frame and the pump needs a rubber cushion. Direct mount will shorten its life. 

IMG_5031.JPG

thank you. thom

On 9/5/2018 at 5:35 AM, FlashBuddy said:

@classiccarjack “My neighbor has created "code" issues for me.  I hope that I don't have to send it to the crusher.  Sigh...”

Can you send your neighbor to the crusher?

Your comment made my day! Love it! 

I really wish that the guy could find inner peace and leave me alone.  I wish no one any ill will, and prefer to help people instead of causing them troubles.  To be honest, the man is probably just jealous.  He has seen me helping my buddies build Engines, Transmissions, Differentials, and weld cars together.  I get 'Cudas, Superbees, AAR 'Cudas, T/A Challengers, Cummins Trucks, Old Trucks, Older Mopars, and ETC coming out here.  My other neighbors adore me, they know of my past and previous Restoration business that I retired from.  Other than my personal collection that may someday be in build threads here, I am also currently helping with a 1971 426 Hemi 4 Speed Convertible 'Cuda project. 

To me, this is what having fun is all about.  Not bashing someone around, I have become too old , and much wiser.  Nothing could be gained truly, and he needs someone to fight back to get his jollies.  Why should it be me?  They say that you can't fix stupid!  LOL

Sorry Keithb7,  I didn't mean to intervene, time to see more Windsor Adventures!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And then it happened. Fall showed up. The sun was out this afternoon. I dropped everything to get out and enjoy my car. The crusing days left in 2018 are dwindling. We can’t waste them. 

3E5BB887-7229-409D-B54C-0A8F6C0280EE.png

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

On another note I’ve got a line on a used set of 4 factory option wire chrome wheels. I hope to pick them up next Saturday. I’ll round up some tubes and get the tires swapped over. I am a little excited to get these. They are beautiful n my opinion. Looking forward to getting them on my Windsor. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

I am not familiar with those rims.  I wish that I could help offer some advice on how to properly remove the caps.

They sure look PURDY!! 

They come of sometimes just by evenly pulling firmly on each ear by hand...

On caps that don't come right off by hand I use a straight clawed framing hammer to carefully pop em off. Use rags and have a hand on the cap when removing it so it won't fly off.

When putting these caps back on I use a screw driver to push one or two of the spring tangs in to make the cap easier to install.

Wire Wheel Cap Removal install (1).JPG

Wire Wheel Cap Removal install (3).JPG

Wire Wheel Cap Removal install (6).JPG

• Thanks 1