We and the Windsor 2018

keithb7

I think it was 1951 to at least 1954 that Chrysler started the year of manufacturer for the first part of the engine #.

IE C53-.... is a 1953 Chrysler engine   same on the Hemi engine#

IE C54-.... is a 1954 Chrysler engine.

No Eights are listed on the Chart.

Engine Numbers Chrysler flat head.PNG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Not sure why the list shows C60 and C64 Engine codes at the very bottom of the list for 1953 and 54 six cylinder cars.

The correct engine stamped six cylinder code for 1953 will be C-53..... A V-8 for 1953 would be C-53-8.....

I have both a 1953 C-53...... six engine and a C-54..... six engine.

Some more parts and shop manual six cylinder Chrysler 1951 C-51 engine number info... 1953 should be the same.......IE 1953 C-53.....engine #

IMG_7301.JPG

Chrysler Serial Numbers.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Off to my local Vintage Car Club monthly meeting tonite. Nice nite to take the car. 

One of these things is not like the others...

57A69895-822C-402B-A0EB-11BD4BEEBB5F.jpeg

• Like 2

In answer to your question about the Fluid Torque Drive, Chrysler offered it as an option only in 1951, 1952 and early 1953.

My 1951 Chrysler Imperial 2-door hardtop has it, and I love it.  When I was a kid we had a 1953 DeSoto Firedome that had the fluid drive without the true torque converter.  And, unlike Sage (my '51 Imperial) that DeSoto was sooooo slow getting up to speed.  It sure would have benefited from having the optional FTD.

@RobertKB thanks. Mine was indeed the only vintage car at the club meeting. Maybe it's too early in the year yet for most members. The gravel sweepers have not been out long. Still lots of gravel on the roads. Mine is a 3 season driver, so I take it out at any opportunity.

@jyinger Thanks for the info on the semi-auto transmission with fluid coupling in front. I was not aware that you could get that option. That helps me as sometimes people have mentioned that my car was very sluggish and sat on the dealer lots back in the '50's. I thought my torque converter model accelerated just fine. Your insight explains their comments. The sluggish reputation had likely been earned by the fluid drive model, without any torque multiplication. It seems that my 265 6 cylinder with fluid torque drive, engine fed torque converter, semi-auto transmission with clutch, was a somewhat rare combination. Well, maybe rare today as not many survived to be restored it seems. Up a steep long incline, its no speed demon but maintains 35-40 MPH and stays cool. 

Driving last night I was thinking about how the old cars brighten people's day. I was getting honks and waves as you all do too I'm sure. I can't help but smile when I see so many enthusiastic people showing interest in the old car. Even if just for 5 or 10 seconds as I drive by. Its a nice feeling to bring that type of quick, instant joy to strangers.  Pretty much every time I stop to put in gas someone approaches me to talk about the car. I make an effort to be extra nice and approachable representing the Vintage Car Club culture.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

All ready for tomorrow’s Vintage Car Easter Parade. First club event of the 2018 season. The forecast is calling for about 1” of snow in the morning. Crap. 

91AFF284-4231-4E02-9124-1A0E2A7531BE.jpeg

Better get your chains ready!:lol:

Nice evening tonight. With the car all cleaned up ready for the parade tomorrow, what better time for a quick sunset cruise.

Here you can join us. The car endures this hill both ways each time we leave the house. We keep the FTD in low range and it holds us back pretty well. The old flat 6 drops and re-gains 1200 feet each cruise. Cooling system, FTD, engine and brakes are working well it seems.

https://youtu.be/YUNiyjleo3s

If someone could teach me how to embed a YouTube video here properly, that would be great! Thanks.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

Well the snow and rain held off until the end of the day, so we made out alright at the Easter Parade. Saw a few new-to-me local Mopars.

I5QbYdO4vhvWWVoKJqOqTtnrvMqfQ8KnHURpoUIQ

PClIPjtqbnYguNPNxbEQlqL45sEg4MhlJZzvBFgf

My car next to a really, really nice Cadillac. 

0dwG_tVTDGCkzSx5B7_z7mPEPTiuA8wzpnNh-dv8

I volunteered to drive the Club's restored 1952 Austin Ambulance seen here. My my wife rode shotgun and worked the air raid siren. My younger son drove my Chrysler,  with his older Brother and Grandmother as passengers in the parade. Was a good day had by all.FcCQJTDEhuB_2AA41iqwwhy-zsmIIPfNDSJqmOjK

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today was a great day. My local Vintage Car Club hosted the Spring Garage Tour. We visited about 7 or so club member's garages. There was plenty to see. I  will share a photo essay here in my Windsor thread. For without my Windsor I would not be a member and having such a great time. Here we go:

We met at 9:30 at a local coffee spot to meet up and get some caffeine in us. Unfortunately it was a soggy wet rainy morning. Many members left their cars at home. There were about 40 members present and only about 8 vintage cars. I took my '53 out. Rain does not bother me. I enjoy driving it and on events like these, I can't think of leaving it home. The weather cleared up and the sun came out. I was so glad I had my old car to cruise in. Total travel was about 65 miles. About 30 mins of that on the hi-way. I was so very impressed with how well my '53 drives and handles on the hi-way. For a big old boat, it does very well.

I'll stick with the MOPAR stuff first, then the other stuff after.

Here is a member's 1953 Plymouth Belvedere convertible restoration. Coming along nicely. I was drooling over the vintage style high end spoke rims. These are period correct for the 50's MOPAR cars. I want these so bad, but whew, expensive!

5nsicDBVBOAzSmrgs-S82I1FzCVHs7GV7YVy1930

LiYrXHr2L0IyhiMURqq49AQezccoc6WR5eqSUAWe

Here is a 1929 Dodge Brothers barn find.  Appeared all there. Ready for a restoration.

apfSfeKTa-tVoHBBnepaGzPe3xn68CuDZoFfC2q1

Unsure on the year of this truck. 1940's I'll guess based on the headlights:

D1CR7g8B9S9kSTOjouCguKtT6rSH6S65AvidfEdW

A 1940 Chev Master 85 beside me enjoying the view.

PugyjiTXSFVRFQ5nxx8RKxuNM2yQIMM2GeNL5XCg

Look-ey here! A 1950 Windsor Deluxe. The only other one I have found in my region. The owner said this was the first car he ever rode in.  His mother carried him home from the hospital in it, a few days after he was born in 1950. His father bought this car new.

WImJ5uAaqWBhc6MGfew5jlT15-WzdPz_uLKctIhb

I was awed by the member's attics full of parts. I thought I had too much stuff. Not by a mile! There are some very serious dudes out there with their own personal junk yards.

I saw so much stuff today at several garages. I was shocked.

sWid_S-b3l1DBeDSY7x-NKhbUqWtsufepV65p2k_

This must be a very rare car. A 1926 Jewett getting restored. Made for only 4 years in Detroit.

X6qhYQrt3G6OtONoPeIGbsCVHzgZp4VMVvhW9LGw

Cookies and coffee time again.

8CfkxKDJwv_k2C5KH84WRSZuK-plAU08uP0ADeSm

This made me laugh. Appears to be a couple of young bucks at the drive in in Grandpa's 1930 Model A. Not sure where the does are.

s-2aBrIpAVpyU9xgvDi06jyetiAhF__ZkNoghWAb\

Okys1QYMbPtWCVjCxDndadryzkw6uCPapF2GvRCE

e4rxtVB0aHVX3uKwSXYQFSeYXU9pgSba8xz5yiFB

1925 Chev Master 85. Business Coupe. 

kDAEhRflQ7yeoh4p5uvYe_FiXFaUMenKquEJluMY

1930 Model A. I am sitting in this one with a big grin. Was quite a classy car.

vXzVpExIprInFup7t9mhT-kxRwE5joVc-HBOGujc

Finally back home and washed up. The front end and the chrome stops me briefly every time.

KHTWSrsNnJWj9hHoBKBrVhrf5SOzO_SX2-CLfwhL

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our for a cruise tonight with Momma. A little shopping. A stop at her favourite Sushi restaurant for dinner. A fine warm evening. Nothing much worth noting except for the first time, I heard a few squeals from my brakes tonite. I have never heard this before. Not every time I brake. I did hear it 3 or 4 times while coming to a stop this evening. What would cause this? Brake pad dust maybe? Maybe I should get back in there and have at look at how the shoes are wearing?

Final stop at my favourite gas station. The car doesn't need 96 Octane Supreme Plus, however it has no ethanol so I pretty much use it exclusively. My engine sure seems to purr on that nectar. Probably just a placebo. Yet it feels good giving my car the good stuff.

eHcsyRyAijvZW6uXK3f-HsLbEbth5L12XY_u2Z4-

Edited by keithb7

I had intermittent squealing. Turns out on of the two cylinders was frozen so only one brake pad was hitting the drum on one side, and that one was not coming in full contact. Now cleaned up and new wheel cylinder with new brake line. Test drive scheduled for later this AM ?

Took my Windsor to a local smaller, casual car show today. They were expecting and hoping for about 50 cars. 102 showed up. I located a couple more local Mopars that i did not know of. A few got rodded. However I did find a fully stock, unrestored 1947 Businessman's Coupe. I think I saw D23 on the firewall? Not sure.  We hung out and talked about our old cars, exchanged into and plan to meet up again soon. 

Here I am feeling like I reunited with a distant cousin.

W6luNXuQe9qDHTaPt9j8SU_2k0mgJwaj-ivRF4zu

A 1937 Dodge. D5?

Ssjjb5W8TfCa_VUCXYDIwrfPQaMc86uzELvhS2bS

• Like 1

Went for about a 120 mile drive today to a vintage car swap meet. On the way back 10 miles from home I am dead on the roadside. Seems like I am not getting any fuel. I have little to no tools with me. My son is on the way to pick us up. Will be back with tools and a spare fuel pump to troubleshoot. My fuel pump was installed new from Andy Bernbaum last June. I know we have fuel in the tank. Poured some raw fuel into throttle body as well. Flashed right up for a few seconds then dies. 

Fuel tank was dropped. Boiled and cleaned out last summer. 

Vapor lock maybe? Not too hot out today. Engine temp is below half on gauge while at hiway speeds. However this was my first long-ish hiway trip with the car. At hiway speeds for extended periods. 

We shall see soon enough what’s up. More to come. 

Edited by keithb7