Pulling the engine

Hickory

I would pull the transmission. Even if it is possible to yank it all out together, it will save you the stress of trying to get the motor up and over the doghouse without scratching up the fire wall all up. ....Just my two cents 

When I was young and stupid, about 1970, I decided to pull the engine from the 1940 Dodge coupe.......so I undid the rear driveshaft flange, 4 bolts at the diff....of course the flange jambed into the edge...........so I undid the 4 nuts at the front of the driveshaft......it too sat in a flange and guess what?.......it jambed also........but I was a smart 16yr old.........I undid the bolts holding the gearbox to the bellhousing, undid the linkages, handbrake and speedo cables and pulled the gearbox back.......are you following all this?............then guess what..........lol...........yep the clutch spiggott splined shaft went back and cocked at an angle inside the clutch plate leaving the gearbox with the driveshaft hanging............so......being the smart 16yr old that I was I had a thoughtie...........lol..............I got the gantry my brother & I had made from 3" steel fence posts, attached the 1/2ton block & tackle and proceeded to undo the engine & bellhousing mounts............AAAHHH..........this is how its done!!!..........and lifted the engine, bellhousing, gearbox and driveshaft out in one 12 foot long sausage..........of course once the wiener was on the ground, the driveshaft & gearbox were easily pulled apart as each section was just jambed enough to create doubts in the mind of said 16yr old.............some things take a while to learn........lol.............anyway as I was a budding hotrodder the aformentioned engine , gearbox & driveshaft were not wanted and a hole was dug in front of where they sat, then they were ceremoniously rolled into the hole and covered up.........job well done!................or so I thought..........

............BTW........did you hear about the time 2 brothers decided to build a large garage for their cars and when digging the foundations for this garage found a Dodge side valve engine and a Ford sidevalve V8 sitting nearby and had to dig new DEEPER holes and roll the engines into the new holes to allow the proper depth foundations?.................so Hickory....welcome to the forum and the woderful world of old cars........lol.........Andy Douglas.       

When I pulled my engine I removed the transmission first. I also removed the top bar of the core support and grill. Pulled engine through the opening. Made it very easy.

0D32BBED-E76B-411A-8C7A-A85144FBEFD4.jpeg

I have pulled many engines right way and wrong. On the royal I have the whole clip off the front and the engine is stripped down to block and crank. That's all. I was hoping to pull them together, but I don't want damage, so separating shall be done.  It's unfortunately cold and snowy again so I may wait a couple days. P.s I was young once too.  lol

23 hours ago, Hickory said:

I have pulled many engines right way and wrong. On the royal I have the whole clip off the front and the engine is stripped down to block and crank. That's all. I was hoping to pull them together, but I don't want damage, so separating shall be done.  It's unfortunately cold and snowy again so I may wait a couple days. P.s I was young once too.  lol

If the front clip is off it can be done and i have done this on a 47 chrysler just this way. 

Its lighter and shorter but about 125 lbs without the M6 trans or is your Royal a 3 spd and fluid drive?

All front end sheet metal off should be doable.

That friggin fluid drive bell and assembly is big and heavy too.

Combined weight engine, fluid drive clutch assembly, and trans about 850 lbs Id bet.

Dont over extend the boom on the lift...lol

1 hour ago, Hickory said:

It is fluid drive

Yup i know that.

But which trans?

Fluid drive and M6 semi auto or fluid drive and regular 3 spd trans?

Fluid drive is the fluid coupler between crank and trans...

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

I would rec. removing the front clip and the trans before removing the eng. I tried removing the eng from my '40 Plymouth with the trans pulled back but the front clip still on. As I was pulling the eng I ended up removing part of the front clip  and radiator anyway. Would have been easier if it were removed first.  If the front clip were off I would have removed the eng and trans as a unit. The little 3 speed on the '40 doesn't weigh that much. That's my opinion for what it's worth....................................

I have never drove the car, so what's an easy way to tell the difference between the 3 speed fluid drive and the m-6. Mine has the two electric solenoid valves on the top passengers side.

38 minutes ago, Hickory said:

I have never drove the car, so what's an easy way to tell the difference between the 3 speed fluid drive and the m-6. Mine has the two electric solenoid valves on the top passengers side.

Your is the semi auto M6 4 spd trans.