Brake light question

Greg F

My brake lights work, but only if I stomp on it like no other. Most the time, just applying the brakes normally, do not light them up. Any ideas on how to fix this as a couple of people have gotten upset while following me.  (New brake light switch, after market switch, ?.?)

Thanks,

Greg

Hydraulic switches get corrupted by old brake fluid, corrosion. Brake light circuits can develop electrical  resistance in connections, grounds can get corrupted with age.  I just changed my switch last year it made a big difference, I have also powered the switch through a new independent wire with an inline fuse, and run a dedicated wire from the light fixture to a good tight ground. Also make a grounding line from your body to the frame or engine.

hello

my 1936 plymouths have hydraulic switches..after time the stick..

i solved the problem with a chevy electric lever type switch..i mounted it to the floorboard

above the brake pedal..i adjusted the switch to the point i can light the brake lights

just by taking out the free travel ..the original switch is still in the master cylinder..

works great...maybe this will help

jesse

49 minutes ago, jesse harvey said:

hello

my 1936 plymouths have hydraulic switches..after time the stick..

i solved the problem with a chevy electric lever type switch..i mounted it to the floorboard

above the brake pedal..i adjusted the switch to the point i can light the brake lights

just by taking out the free travel ..the original switch is still in the master cylinder..

works great...maybe this will help

jesse

I did the same on my P-15 many years ago.

BrakeSwitch.jpg

MVC-006F.jpg