My first classic

Hickory

Maybe you might want to paint the instrument needles as they were when new.. a reddish orange?

So I removed everything and disassemble the dash head. Clean and polished, sanded dash and painted, then wrapped the ugly black dash pad with a reddish brown upholstery. Now doing the rewire

The wiring in the dash is almost done besides all of the bulbs and the field gauge. It already looks more neat. For the bulbs I have new buttons on the way. I may still paint the needles.

So I thank the forum.member who helped supply me with a hard to buy part. With that I have re marked the top dead center on the balancer. It was off 7 deg. From the original spot. Intalled and torqued the head and ran a fuel line. Engine is almost done.

• 4 weeks later...

I have figured out the pic posting issue. I knew it wasn't the pic size issue. I believe it was because I cancelled my wifi and was trying to upload with data

I painted the firewall and frame before putting in the engine so I wouldn't have to wrap it back up later. At first I felt the blue was a little light, but I think I like it.tried to stay close to the original color as the wife told me too. But I have crossed the idea to her about painting the roof white to go with the mist blue body.

• 2 weeks later...

Good going with your excellent work!.. love those clusters...

1949-chrysler dash cluster.jpg

• Like 1

Hickory, first time I've gone thru this thread...most enjoyable and informative, especially like the instrument cluster and engine build posts........keep up the good work, regards from the real Oz.........lol.........andyd 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have not updated in a while. So today was my first test drive and it was to the Syracuse Nationals. Now my car is not close to show ready but it is driving and the goal was to drive and enter the Nationals. I will try to show some pics. Now I did park near the rat rods but advertising as an on going restore. It's not going to be a rat dropping as Plymouth Adams speaks of but it's not finished and didn't look right sitting next to some $200,000 car. I get more people looking at it that way.