My first classic

Hickory

All the measurements look good and machining looks good. Today I replaced all of the valve guides. Tommorow I blow out the coolant passages again and install the new freeze plugs. During the week I spent my lunch on the engine and a little more time on the weekend

KIMG0054.JPG

That's very exciting to see that shiny new metal.  There's a show I was watching called Ice Pilots who fly WWII era DC-3's and 4's. When their engines break down out "on the road" sometimes their mechanics can't find the problem, and in sub-zero weather. I am amazed how they can find anything inside those engines.  Makes a flat head seem like a walk in the park.

When you did the valve guides, did you alternate the rounded ends with the flat?  The round end is supposed to be up for exhaust I think, intakes the other way, or is it the opposite?  Can't remember maybe some one will chime in.  

Don't go to the Nat's any more.  Did the first 3 or 4 years then decided to just cruise the area motel lots at night.

I did alternate the guides and I took a pic. I marked them intake vs exaust did exaust first then intake. Compared them to the original and to the book. I'm positive I got them right. 

Hey Plymouthy, when I was a teen ager in late 60s working at a 66 station in St.Louis county, a convertible pulled in on a Sat with man and woman and 2 kids in front and a goat in back standing in floor board and head hanging over side of door. They never volunteered any info on the transportation of said GOAT, and I never asked. Just one of those mysteries of life. I have heard stories of ponies being transported but never seen one in person. LOL

Got my bearings on Friday, and did the whole plastigauage thing. Everything looks good. Mains at .005 and rods at .006.  I assembled the Pistons and rods and will check the ring gap next. We are getting close to assembly.

Got my bearings on Friday, and did the whole plastigauage thing. Everything looks good. Mains at .005 and rods at .006.  I assembled the Pistons and rods and will check the ring gap next. We are getting close to assembly.

15 minutes ago, Hickory said:

with those reading you will have serious low oil pressure and fluttering in the mains and rods on start up and short life overall and eventual ruination of the crank....are you sure you read the plastigage correctly

You sure that Plastigage  reading of .0005-.0006" is the final accurate number... pretty tight for an old flathead... better run 0/5W oil.

Isn't the spec .0005-.0015? That is what I got on some plastigage that I found in our machine shop. It looks really old since we don't use it on our diesel engines. Is there a shelf life.

Yes you are right..I am wrong!~sorry!.