1936 Plymouth No Adapter Plate Disc Brake Conversion

55 Fargo

7 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

Sure looks like Volvo.  Popular swap on pre-war Fords years ago....

Adam

Thats what some of tbe HAMB guys think too.

Looks like caliper is bolted right on and used hub and rotor over stock spindle.

17 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

This was posted on the HAMB 1936 Plymouth with odd ball disc brake conversion using no adapter plate.

Anybody recognize the caliper, rotor and hub assembly...

20180303_101411.jpg

20180303_101427.jpg

The rotor hub section looks very deep.      I thought about a setup on my 38, using an Explorer disc...Still use the original hub....

This setup seems to be a early Volvo, maybe a 88 or 89, caliper that has a mounting center bolt holes at about 3.5 inch.

The Plymouth mounting holes are about 3 5/8 across the top, and about 5 5/16 from top to bottom.

I believe he used the original top rear bolt hole, and drilled the bottom rear hole for the second mounting bolt for the caliper mounting..

The rotor may be an Explorer to get the 4.5 inch lug pattern....

volvo mount center.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Horne said:

I have not been able to find which Volvo has the 4.5 bolt circle so far...

Found this link:

122 & 1800 models up to 1969 use a bolt pattern of 5-on 4.5

https://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/280/all-about-wheels-for-rear-wheel-drive-volvo-models

Its interesting Robert, you looking at doin it? If you do please post it.

12 hours ago, Lloyd said:

Found this link:

122 & 1800 models up to 1969 use a bolt pattern of 5-on 4.5

https://www.ipdusa.com/blogs/280/all-about-wheels-for-rear-wheel-drive-volvo-models

Its interesting Robert, you looking at doin it? If you do please post it.

Thanks for the link.    I have not been looking into old enough Volvos for the 4 4/5 bolt pattern.

I had researched a few years ago on doing disc brakes, with Explorer rotors, and some type of bracket

for the caliper.      The Volvo setup would be the way to go, it seems.    I will do more research into this...

My stock brakes have worked ok, until the last time I drove my 38, and front  brakes failed, due to loss

of fluid.    I still had rear brakes, thanks to the Bronco MC setup....

In the first post photo, the rotor seemed very high.      This photo of a 1968 rotor, Volvo 1800S, is for the rear, 4 1/2 bolt circle,  seems higher

than front rotors.     I seen rotor listings of 67 to 74 140 Volvos that suppose to fit 1800S Volvo, but had a 4.25 circle.

brake 1800S volvo.jpg

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Are you guys sure?

Rock Auto sells the calipres cheap

What about the cylindrical casting the hose attaches too.

I dont see that on 1988 volvo calipres

Not sure of anything so far 55.

I get conflicting info from different sellers.

Going by the first posts photos, my best guess so far, is the rear rotor from a 68 1800s, and

the caliper from the 1988 Volvo 240.....

• Thanks 1

So, talking to dad it seemed it was a hub and rotor assembly with bearings, races etc. He bought a 3/16 spacer from JC Whitney that went against the inner bearing. Big difference from what the original poster showed, is he did have to make a plate for the caliper to bolt to the spindle. It wasn’t cast into the caliper. I showed him the picture of the caliper on this thread and he thinks it MIGHT be early mustang but that’s a guess. Early mustang was a popular conversion in the late 70’s as he remembers. 

This was 30 years ago on a Ford spindle. I do remember flying to Kansas from California as a kid to pick up the parts. 

Hope this helps,

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

Interesting, but looking at early Mustang and Volvos, this caliper still looks different than those.

At any rate, hope someone can positively Identify the entire set-up, could end up being a nice alternative for a disc swap...