Camshaft and Crank Oiling modification

I know that I have read this on the site but I can't recall whether it was the truck forum or the auto forum. Either way, I can't find it. I recall reading that someone recommended adding an orifice to the oil way leading from the crank to the camshaft. The reasoning was that it helped to ensure that there was ample oil supply to the mains and connecting rods. Has anyone else seen this thread and can you point me that way?

Edited by johnsartain

2 hours ago, johnsartain said:

I know that I have read this on the site but I can't recall whether it was the truck forum or the auto forum. Either way, I can't find it. I recall reading that someone recommended adding an orifice to the oil way leading from the crank to the camshaft. The reasoning was that it helped to ensure that there was ample oil supply to the mains and connecting rods. Has anyone else seen this thread and can you point me that way?

Possibly the thread you are referring to in which a restrictor  was mentioned,  "engine  year help" posted a few days back by forum member ,homer41

Don Bunns book on Dodge pick-up history has a section that talks about performance modifications for the flatheads. He gives a detailed explanation on how to modify the oiling system. You have to enlarge the main bearing shell caps or something like that. Get the book, it is well worth it. 

3 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

This one?

That isn't it but it does make a lot of sense. I think I will replace my cam bearings and set them up that way. Opening up the timing sprocket oiler tube a bit sounds like a good idea as well.

6 hours ago, Dozerman51 said:

Don Bunns book on Dodge pick-up history has a section that talks about performance modifications for the flatheads. He gives a detailed explanation on how to modify the oiling system. You have to enlarge the main bearing shell caps or something like that. Get the book, it is well worth it. 

What is the ISBN number for that book, there are 4 of them, just to make sure I get the right one.

On 3/3/2018 at 10:27 AM, Dozerman51 said:

I wrote that article first for the WPC News back about 1980.  then it was later published by the Plymouth Owners Club.  

The publication mentioned in the quote  picked it up and did a poor job of editing it, something I am still annoyed about.   If you have any questions, ask me directly,  I will be pleased to help.  dp

• Like 1

On 3/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, dpollo said:

I wrote that article first for the WPC News back about 1980.  then it was later published by the Plymouth Owners Club.  

The publication mentioned in the quote  picked it up and did a poor job of editing it, something I am still annoyed about.   If you have any questions, ask me directly,  I will be pleased to help.  dp

I don't suppose you have a copy of the original article, which if I understand you correctly, is more in line with what you had intended, do you?  If so, would it be feasible to post it here, or would that be violating some kind of proprietary rights laws?

Edited by Matt Wilson

I probably have the original manuscript. but short of retyping it I have no idea how I would post it.  I was born in the first half of the last century and computers are anathema to me.  First let me see if I can find it.

When published in the Plymouth Bulletin it was titled " Make That Plymouth Run "   maybe you can get a handle on it that way  but I will look.

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

I probably have the original manuscript. but short of retyping it I have no idea how I would post it.  I was born in the first half of the last century and computers are anathema to me.  First let me see if I can find it.

When published in the Plymouth Bulletin it was titled " Make That Plymouth Run "   maybe you can get a handle on it that way  but I will look.

Just use an Android phone and take pics of it and upload it on here.

You will have to reduce the pic size to be able to upload it.

Or scan with a printer and upload it. 

I was born 1961 not too much more advanced in the computer age.

It is the uploading process I am unsure about.  I can get things onto my computer screen , then the size issue .  I will try to learn this but first I must find yje article.

It was presented best by the Plymouth Bulletin    Thanks.

• Like 1

I have found the original manuscript but it requires some revision.  Some advice while it seemed relevant in 1980 no longer rings true.

I am going to edit it and have it retyped and if Fargo 55 and Matt wish to contact me , I will (eventually) send  a newly edited copy

or if you want it sooner, I will send, by regular mail . a copy as it appeared in the Plymouth Bulletin with pencilled in revisions.

I really  do not wish to republish in any format since  it will undoubtedly result in questions that I am no longer patient enough to answer.

• Thanks 1