Holy crap! Glass prices

dang...I paid less than that for tinted including sending out to be tempered....that place sounds like my local glass shop..he thinks his time is 300.00 an hour...his business, his call, just that I cannot trade with the man....but I will say this...for whatever reason even single pane glass has seemed to rise greatly in price.

don't price fuel injection line...locally was 6.59 a foot for 100PSI rated....got 225 PSI rated across the street for just a tad less than 5.00 a foot...kept looking for the gold reinforcement fibers...

COST OF LIVING GOING UP.....CHANCE OF LIVING GOING DOWN

19 minutes ago, pflaming said:

I'm paying $50 per door or windshield safety glass, non tinted, non-installed.

That's about what I expected. Used to be about $25 per glass, not now.

He told me they were losing money at $275. Told him he didn't have to worry losing any more.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

dang...I paid less than that for tinted including sending out to be tempered....that place sounds like my local glass shop..he thinks his time is 300.00 an hour...his business, his call, just that I cannot trade with the man....but I will say this...for whatever reason even single pane glass has seemed to rise greatly in price.

don't price fuel injection line...locally was 6.59 a foot for 100PSI rated....got 225 PSI rated across the street for just a tad less than 5.00 a foot...kept looking for the gold reinforcement fibers...

just looked at my bill, they sold me that hose for 3.97 a foot, cannot even find anything close to that on E-bay......when you need 10 feet, it adds up fast and then you should always get the better grade clamps designed for FI use.  I think this is the first time I walked out of a NAPA with a warm fuzzy feeling......:D

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Cost of living going up. Who cares? You cant take it with you. Spend it all and enjoy it. Chance of living going down. You worked hard all your life to make this small fortune but it will not buy an increase in your chance of living. Spend it all and enjoy it. You cant take it with you and the beer delivery truck is lurking around the next bend in the road.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Cost of living keeps going up because more than half of America has there hand out. So business owners have to charge more to pay for the free loaders. 

• Like 1

That kit that B1B Keven posted a link to looks like a good solution if you need all new glass.

My winshield and front door glass was OK, but I had to add new tailgate, rear door, and all  new rear side glass to the woody.  

I ordered it from  https://www.onedayglass.com/order-online/ .  The link goes to peninsula glass co., I think.  In any event, you can either trace you old glass and send a template, or just straight measurements, and they will cut it to fit.  You can order any type you want, including what type of edge treatment you need.  The prices were pretty good and they shipped it all with zero breakage.  Very good packaging.  

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Frank's 49 said:

That kit that B1B Keven posted a link to looks like a good solution if you need all new glass.

My winshield and front door glass was OK, but I had to add new tailgate, rear door, and all  new rear side glass to the woody.  

I ordered it from  https://www.onedayglass.com/order-online/ .  The link goes to peninsula glass co., I think.  In any event, you can either trace you old glass and send a template, or just straight measurements, and they will cut it to fit.  You can order any type you want, including what type of edge treatment you need.  The prices were pretty good and they shipped it all with zero breakage.  Very good packaging.  

That kit is a very good price.  I did not see where it specified but are the door and vent window glass safety or laminated? My son works for a glass company who cut mine. Although I got a discount, I wouldn't have balked at that price.

2 hours ago, johnsartain said:

That kit is a very good price.  I did not see where it specified but are the door and vent window glass safety or laminated? 

Both are safety glass. I think what you meant to ask was it tempered or laminated.

22 hours ago, austinsailor said:

Both are safety glass. I think what you meant to ask was it tempered or laminated.

I don't know about the kit, but when ordering from onedayglass.com you can specify what type you want.  When broken LAMINATED GLASS can shatter into large pieces, but since it is actually two layers of glass, with a plastic member between the two sheets, it is supposed to basically remain intact, with the plastic holding things in place.  TEMPERTED GLASS is a single sheet and is harder to break, but when it does break it just sort of crumbles into small pea sized particles.  But they are still glass and will still cut you (just small cuts though, so that's OK.  Right?  ) 

Ah... So death by a thousand cuts. Tempered and Laminated glass are both safety glass. The phrases tend to get thrown around loosely and depending on the part of the country you come form it a tomato/potato thing. Franks answer seems to hit the nail on the head. The reason for my asking was that after replacing my windows with laminated, there is resistance to rolling the glass up and down. It could be that the seals I got for the door glass were actually set up for Tempered glass thickness which is a bit thinner than the lammie.

I do not think there is a set of door glass channels that are specific to the two types of glass available today.  If you dry assembled your felts, perhaps a tad of silicone lube.  If you have access to the guides yet, you may also try inserting a similar thickness block and wiggle it a bit to help 'shape' the guides.  They can on install be a of resistance..this will change with use and age.

40 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

If you spray some dry lube in these "tracks" you may be surprised by how much smoother they operate.

Jeff

I may do that this spring yet, FEF's windows roll up and down HARD for a portion of travel... to the point I help with my other hand so things don't get damaged (yes all was cleaned up and lubed prior to install).

I think the metal parts of the lower support and divider bar are substantially thicker than the small variation in the glass thickness between the two.

sometimes there is a bit of bow in the channel guides, often caused on removing and inserting...verify with a tape that there is no taper in the guided top to bottom placing undue pressure against the glass.  if this is the case, this may subside in time it will be at the expense of premature wear  of the felts..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

sometimes there is a bit of bow in the channel guides, often caused on removing and inserting...verify with a tape that there is no taper in the guided top to bottom placing undue pressure against the glass.  if this is the case, this may subside in time it will be at the expense of premature wear  of the felts..

already did that and adjusted the front guide accordingly

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I may do that this spring yet, FEF's windows roll up and down HARD for a portion of travel... to the point I help with my other hand so things don't get damaged (yes all was cleaned up and lubed prior to install).

I think the metal parts of the lower support and divider bar are substantially thicker than the small variation in the glass thickness between the two.

When mine start to get this way my go to stuff is the dry lube spray. Makes all the difference. Try it you'll like it!

33 minutes ago, Jeff Balazs said:

When mine start to get this way my go to stuff is the dry lube spray. Makes all the difference. Try it you'll like it!

what "dry lube" do you use?