which oil pan?

homer41

Building this 218, I have 2 different oil pans, both the same basic shape, one is totally open on the inside the other has 2 horizontal baffels with a  large opening between the 2 for the oil screen to go in. There is also a well for the dipstick to drop into.  Any reasons to us a certain one?     Dave

The one with the baffles is the better one to use IMO.

• Like 1

Use the one with the baffle provided that there is room for the oil pick up float.

Baffled pans are a lot harder to clean and they don't fit well into the dishwasher.

• Like 2

I am going to clean it today, it has about 3/4" of sludge in it and a crusted on coat on the outside. Dirty job! No diswasher!  Dave

It's the under side of the baffles that's hard to clean... I use a machine shop to clean oil pans ..... then go over it again with a lint free cloth and a can brake cleaner or lacquer thinner to be sure no black tar is left.

The oil pick up float is also hard to clean. I remove the float baffle and screen to clean them. A not fun to do job..

413 Oil Pick up Remove and clean screen and baffle re- assemble (10).JPG

413 Oil Pick up Remove and clean screen and baffle re- assemble (18).JPG

413 Oil Pick up Remove and clean screen and baffle re- assemble (14).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

I cqleaned it! What a bear! Found a hole in the bottom, so I checked it real close, now I have 4 holes to weld shut.  Dave