Door Hanle Conundrum

Don Jordan

I begin projects before I find out how difficult they're going to be.  I don't know what it's called but the little piece of molding out side on the door that the door handle goes through (I'll look up the name from my parts book later).  Question:  how do I get the door handle out of the piece of molding.  I just bought 4 newer ones and thought I'd find out how it's done before I dive into this.

thanks

those bezels or pedestals as some call them are integral to the handle...if your new ones do not have this piece....you got your work cut out for you for sure changing them over given you old bezels are in decent shape, they usually fail in cosmetics before the handle bites the big one.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, casper50 said:

I did the same to my 47 Dodge handles.  If I remember right there's a bell shaped keeper on the inside.  I carefully twisted 90 degrees to get them to come off.  See photo.

IMG_1641.jpg

Similar to the trunk lock on my Desoto. Disassemble as mentioned here by loosening the pressed keeper. Put back together by punching the keeper in the same place where it was originally presssed or drill a small hole through ther keeper and square rod and put a cotter pin through it.

I did it!  With your help and the guy across the street.  He turned the keeper 90 and it came off.

I've got some pictures but I've got to remember how to post them.

Anyway thank you, thank you for the key to fixing my problems.

On 3/1/2018 at 6:41 PM, Don Jordan said:

the parts book  actually shows it as "Door Outside Handle Assembly"

I fear I have bitten off more than I can handle.

...more than I can "handle".  Haha, I just got it!  :lol:

• Like 1