Tools required for engine work

Kevin

I have been working on my 218 cu. In engine that hasn't been started in 33 years .

I have had issues with tool rental that will not work on my engine .

I am looking for advice on where I can buy the tool needed to install my crankshaft pulley.

You don’t need anything to install the pulley, only to remove it.  The main nut is plenty big and strong enough to pull it back on.

the biggest issue I had was a valve spring compressor...I made one out of and old C clamp, and now my buddy has an original tool...I wasn’t even close in my design

I use a arbor I've had for years to push the flathead pulleys on.

Pulley Crank Install Arbor tool MoPar Flathead.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

You don’t need anything to install the pulley, only to remove it.  The main nut is plenty big and strong enough to pull it back on.

the biggest issue I had was a valve spring compressor...I made one out of and old C clamp, and now my buddy has an original tool...I wasn’t even close in my design

1 hour ago, 4mula-dlx said:

Don't they still have L-head valve spring compressors at the local auto supply? Last I looked they still had them for people who were working on lawn mowers. Of course, I don't normally wander the tool isle at my local auto supply, so I could be totally out of date on that.

Flathead six style valve spring compressors are very easy to find.

Apparently on that side of the border....I tried multiple  spots here with no success.  If this is the lawnmore one your referring too, I didn't trust the looks of the one I found.  My C clamp worked fine..but the real tool would have been much handier 

IMG_0557.JPG

Kevin, I know your not at the point of needing one yet but, relating to the title of this thread, a tool that I find very valuable for engine work is a vacuum gauge  

vacuum.JPG.48aff0fd8d8c664b7690a80d764bbb0c.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TodFitch said:

Don't they still have L-head valve spring compressors at the local auto supply? Last I looked they still had them for people who were working on lawn mowers. Of course, I don't normally wander the tool isle at my local auto supply, so I could be totally out of date on that.

17 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Flathead six style valve spring compressors are very easy to find.

Here are mine bought 3 sets on sunday.

Just to be clear been looking for these.

So on Saturday morning found them on Kijiji for 8 usd.

Pounced on them.. had to wait as someone beat me to the punch but they were a no show so i got em..

20180225_193253_resized(1).jpg

20180228_181220_resized.jpg

20180301_130812_resized.jpg

20180301_131746_resized.jpg

20180301_132240_resized.jpg

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies,  I have a vacuum  gauge, and valve spring compressor, I wish I had a longer bolt to press on the crank pulley, as I stripped the first 1/2 " of thread off the bolt trying to use it to press on the timing gear on the crankshaft.  I am afraid  that the replacement nut I am buying will do the same if I try and use it to press the pulley back on .I don't  think the bolt isn't long to get enough threads started to be able to put much torque  on it. Surely  someone  has the correct  tool to do this job,I just have to find it.

The crank bolt is too short to start the gear on the crank as you have seen...you can hammer the pulley/hub on but that's tough on the rear thrust bearing:(

I made mine years ago out of a factory crank bolt (I cut the head off) and a 3/4"grade 8  bolt welded to the modified crank bolt.

• Like 1

I just had my pulley off twice last week and re-installed both times with the crank bolt...maybe the 265 long block has a bigger heavier bolt that's longer...however it's the same one as my 218,  and has the original "arms" for where the hand crank would grab on it, unlike the one pictured above.

1 hour ago, 4mula-dlx said:

I just had my pulley off twice last week and re-installed both times with the crank bolt...maybe the 265 long block has a bigger heavier bolt that's longer...however it's the same one as my 218,  and has the original "arms" for where the hand crank would grab on it, unlike the one pictured above.

You run a 218?

Okay thought it was a 250.

It most likely not enough power for your big truck?

3 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

The original engine was a 218, I run a 265 now, with a few upgrades, but same crank pulley bolt.

Okay im way off, how long with the 265?

Tell me about its power difference and power on general.

I have a 265 and a nice 225 slant 6 on my shop floor too..

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

When I recently put the pulley on my 325, its the same as the L6. Go down to the hardware store and get a longer 3/4 bolt and use that until it bottoms out. Next use your stock pulley bolt to drive it home and torque. 

Well I have. Problem using that I stripped about the first half Inch of threads off of it using it to press the timing gear on .The bolt on my engine is 1 1/16" dia. not 3/4".

Thanks Dodgeb4ya ,that is the route I am going to take . I have ordered a new bolt,I am going to do as you suggested with the old one. Thanks to everyone else for their input .

The crankshaft gear is a lot tougher to install then the pulley, that likely would strip your bolt...one way if your stuck is to heat the gear up (not with a cutting torch FYI) and then quickly place on, lightly tap with a hammer to start and then use the bolt before cool down.  If your pulley stripped the bolt, then I would investigate if it has a burr or ridge on it making install difficult...you should be able to push it by hand about 1/4 of the way and I again lightly tap to get it about 1/2 way on and then use my bolt...as I say, did it twice a week ago, as I messed up and installed pulley before the front engine mount, and that won't work when everything is in the truck.

9 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

The wife loves when I have a ring gear or some other car part in the oven to heat them up before install! 

2 minutes ago, 4mula-dlx said:

At least you weren’t caught baking your freshly painted rims...but my buddies wife got him back...she cleaned his polished side mouldings with oven degreaser to help...ate all the anodized off them LOL

When I was a bachelor I had the bright idea that I could clean the grease, oil and grime off of car parts using the dishwasher. This was a mistake on several counts. Needless to say I am glad that I did not have a wife at that time to share in my learning experience.

Dishwashers also do Not like laundry soap-not even a little!

What a mess I had!

DJ