New gas tanks for pilot house??

austinsailor

Tanks Inc has them way cheaper than DCM. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd349.htm

I'm installing one in my '53 B4C this weekend. It''s going to require new brackets in front and rear and a longer filler neck coming out of the tank. Other than that, it fits great.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2018 at 1:11 PM, gramps1951 said:

I have that tank in my truck when filling with gas I have to go real slow or she will spit it back at me anyone else with this problem.  Nice tank for the price tho.

The original tank and filler pipe on my woody had the same problem.  Took forever to fill and it was hard to determine when it was full, or if it was just "burping".  

I solved the problem by inserting a section of  clear plastic pipe, inside the filler pipe and extending as far as it would go.  I use the plastic pipe to fill the tank, and the original, surrounding pipe acts as a vent, letting air out.  Not sure what type plastic the pipe is, it is clear plastic and I bought it at home depot.  I soaked the end in gasoline for a week to make sure there was no reaction to the gas.  Every thing is working fine and I have had it in place for about 6 months now.  I guess it is the same type plastic that I have seen used for fuel lines on some hotrods.  

Just make sure the pipe you get is large enough to insert the gas pump nozzle.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, Frank's 49 said:

The original tank and filler pipe on my woody had the same problem.  Took forever to fill and it was hard to determine when it was full, or if it was just "burping".  

I solved the problem by inserting a section of  clear plastic pipe, inside the filler pipe and extending as far as it would go.  I use the plastic pipe to fill the tank, and the original, surrounding pipe acts as a vent, letting air out.  Not sure what type plastic the pipe is, it is clear plastic and I bought it at home depot.  I soaked the end in gasoline for a week to make sure there was no reaction to the gas.  Every thing is working fine and I have had it in place for about 6 months now.  I guess it is the same type plastic that I have seen used for fuel lines on some hotrods.  

Just make sure the pipe you get is large enough to insert the gas pump nozzle.  

This is a good approach to refueling, to contain the fuel in the filler neck while letting the filler neck be the vent for displaced vapor.  I made a similar contraption for an ag diesel manual transfer pump where the nozzle would blast out of the tractor tank on the pump pressure stroke.  I ended up making a "hook" out of PVC pipe and fittings so that the nozzle could not fall out of the tank filler neck...used that thing for years until the manual pump gave up the ghost and we invested in an electric transfer pump that had a smoother transfer rate so the nozzle stayed put on its own.  PVC can be used for fuel transfer, but it will yellow over time and become more brittle.