Body / Engine Number 42 Dodge

gcarvalho

11 minutes ago, gcarvalho said:

Hello,

Is possible to get more informations only with body / engine number? I own a 42 Dodge and serial number tag is not there.

Thanks

body number.png

engine number.png

What sort of information do you need? According to the paperwork you show it was an import model,so I am sure there will be things different about it than on US 1942 Dodges. Because of this you will have to be specific with your inquiries.

• Like 2

I'm talking from Brazil. This car is a right hand drive, it was imported to Uruguay at 42. I'm looking for informations about color and if it is a blackout model or not? I know that its possible with serial number but my car is without this tag.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

What sort of information do you need? According to the paperwork you show it was an import model,so I am sure there will be things different about it than on US 1942 Dodges. Because of this you will have to be specific with your inquiries.

I'm talking from Brazil. This car is a right hand drive, it was imported to Uruguay at 42. I'm looking for informations about color and if it is a blackout model or not? I know that its possible with serial number but my car is without this tag.

Thanks

43 minutes ago, gcarvalho said:

Thanks

Here's a color chart for US 42 models.

1 42 dodge paint chips 1.jpg

I'm not sure but here are the tags on the drivers side firewall of my 42 Dodge Businessman's Coupe.  There is nothing left on the larger tag where I assume the serial number would be. I think the smaller tag is a paint code. It says 1069TP0.

Are these the tags that are missing on your car ?

1_42_dodge_3.png

Edited by Reg Evans

1 minute ago, Reg Evans said:

I'm not sure but here are the tags on the drivers side firewall of my 42 Dodge Businessman's Coupe.  There is nothing left on the larger tag where I assume the serial number would be. I think the smaller tag is a paint code.

Are these the tags that are missing on your car ?

1_42_dodge_3.png

My car have only engine number at the block. I found body number at an old document, the tag is not where it should. The same occour with serial number tag.

Number are in sequence, what I presume that is correct (Body Number is D22 62286 S and Engine is D22 - 62287 S) 

The serial number tag was usually aplied to one of the "A" pillars.  Some pictures of the side of the car would show if the car is Plymouth based or Dodge.  Many export Dodges were plymouths with Dodge trim.  Wheelbase for Plymouth based car would be 117 inches.  Do the front fenders extend their lines into the front door?  What is the length of your engines cylinder head?.  Does the car have fuid drive? What is the word preceding the number 412586851?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greg g said:

The serial number tag was usually aplied to one of the "A" pillars.  Some pictures of the side of the car would show if the car is Plymouth based or Dodge.  Many export Dodges were plymouths with Dodge trim.  Wheelbase for Plymouth based car would be 117 inches.  Do the front fenders extend their lines into the front door?  What is the length of your engines cylinder head?.  Does the car have fuid drive? What is the word preceding the number 412586851?

412586851 is a brazilian number called RENAVAM

Here are the pictures. 

Yes, its a fluid drive

42 Dodge (2).png

42 Dodge Engine.png

42 Dodge.png

31 minutes ago, gcarvalho said:

412586851 is a brazilian number called RENAVAM

Here are the pictures. 

Yes, its a fluid drive

42 Dodge (2).png

Nic looking car. Take a look inside the front door jambs for a serial number tag.  Import cars are different than American cars,with different trim attached to Plymouth bodies that have Dodge nameplates on them.  The serial numbers and the wheelbase dimensions are what you will need to know to order parts,but in your case I would immediately start a serious search or a Owners Manual,Parts Manual,and Service manual for Dodges manufactured in Uruguay and/or surrounding nations that was published in Spanish. I suspect US service and parts manuals would lead you astray.

I can definitely tell you that your car is a early 1942 model,not a blackout model. The blackout models were made after the US entered into WW-2 and have no chrome on them. Grilles,bumpers,etc are identical in every other respect,but are painted instead of chromed.

Edited by knuckleharley

4 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Nick looking car. Take a look inside the front door jambs for a serial number tag.  Import cars are different than American cars,with different trim attached to Plymouth bodies that have Dodge nameplates on them.  The serial numbers and the wheelbase dimensions are what you will need to know to order parts,but in your case I would immediately start a serious search or a Owners Manual,Parts Manual,and Service manual for Dodges manufactured in Uruguay and/or surrounding nations that was published in Spanish. I suspect US service and parts manuals would lead you astray.

I can definitely tell you that your car is a early 1942 model,not a blackout model. The blackout models were made after the US entered into WW-2 and have no chrome on them. Grilles,bumpers,etc are identical in every other respect,but are painted instead of chromed.

Thanks knuckleharley,

I've already bought all stainless steel trim, bezels , speedometer, clock, radio and  other details that are missed. Bought service manual, parts manual and owner manual too. Now I'm just trying to discover what was the original color. Is it possible only asking for a build sheet by Chrysler Historical Services?? Can they track my serial number with engine / body number?

Thanks again   

2 hours ago, greg g said:

CORRECTION....CORRECTION.....

I went back out in the garage during the light of day and was just barely able to open the passenger door, because it's a tight fit in my garage, and saw that in fact my 42 does have a serial number on a small metal tag ( 1/2" x 2 1/2") on the "A" pillar.   It's been painted over and did not show up to my old eyes in the dim light.

It says 30581334  

I know that number doesn't help you but I'm just confirming that my car has one there.

1 42 dodge 4.png

You may be able to find the original color by looking for areas of paint that have been hidden and protected.  Look at the firewall under the hood, door jambs, under door striker plates, etc.  if you find some original paint you could match it to a color chart, or have a paint store scan it with their color matching tool.  

52 minutes ago, gcarvalho said:

Thanks knuckleharley,

I've already bought all stainless steel trim, bezels , speedometer, clock, radio and  other details that are missed. Bought service manual, parts manual and owner manual too. Now I'm just trying to discover what was the original color. Is it possible only asking for a build sheet by Chrysler Historical Services?? Can they track my serial number with engine / body number?

Thanks again   

Wasn't it manufactured in Uruguay?  I suspect you will have to find that data there.

As for the original color,you can find that by taking the kick panels off by the cowl,looking inside the door jambs,the underside of the hood,etc,etc,etc.

Plymouth body.  Go to the allpar website and search exports.  There is a lot of information there on Detroit built exports, Canadian made exports, as nd knock downs which were chassis, drivetrains and body's which were assembled in the countries they were exported to.  Pretty good section on Central and South America.

7 hours ago, greg g said:

Plymouth body.  Go to the allpar website and search exports.  There is a lot of information there on Detroit built exports, Canadian made exports, as nd knock downs which were chassis, drivetrains and body's which were assembled in the countries they were exported to.  Pretty good section on Central and South America.

All Canadian built cars up to 1948 had a 7 digit VIN starting with a 9. 30,581,334 makes it a US built Dodge D22 from 1942. How it got to be RHD and in Uruguay is another question...

1 hour ago, Wiggo said:

All Canadian built cars up to 1948 had a 7 digit VIN starting with a 9. 30,581,334 makes it a US built Dodge D22 from 1942. How it got to be RHD and in Uruguay is another question...

Here is a Picture of interior. You can note that dash moulding with gauge is inverted. Glove box too.

20170309_141217.png

Interesting. I wonder was that done at the factory, or was it done by someone else?

This photo seems to show traffic in Montevideo in 1940 driving on the left, so maybe it was modified to RHD in Uruguay...

uruguay-montevideo-playa-pocitos-date-circa-early-1940s-g3c105.jpg

5 minutes ago, Wiggo said:

Interesting. I wonder was that done at the factory, or was it done by someone else?

This photo seems to show traffic in Montevideo in 1940 driving on the left, so maybe it was modified to RHD in Uruguay...

uruguay-montevideo-playa-pocitos-date-circa-early-1940s-g3c105.jpg

I do not know, but think this Dash moulding is very well made to have been manufactured by someone else at Uruguay. Glove box too

20170309_141644.png

Looking at the picture, the gauges would have been where the glove box lock is. The speedo and the clock have been swapped over. I think someone has just taken it to bits and swapped everything from left to right...

1942-dodge-custom2.jpg

44 minutes ago, gcarvalho said:

Here is a Picture of interior. You can note that dash moulding with gauge is inverted. Glove box too.

20170309_141217.png

The upholstery isn't even within shouting distance of original,but I'm loving it. The only improvement I could add would be those tiny little holes that allow for air circulation,but your seats might have them. Me not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there.

First of all Blackouts had the trim painted as I have one.  Chrysler has a site in Detroit that has the build card of all its cars and you might be able get this.  I cannot remember the address of that site but with a little research you should be able to find it. Jon

15B5C7EE-DC9D-4CA5-91CD-9746CFA1117D.jpeg