4 spd swap

torqczar

Hi,  I have question  on a   B1C  trans swap,  will   '49  non-synchronized  angle drain plug  trans swap with a  '52ish  synchronized  horizontal drain plug trans?  the bolt pattern looks the  the same.  I looked up input shaft ,  they look the same ... any thoughts?    thanks

10 hours ago, torqczar said:

Hi,  I have question  on a   B1C  trans swap,  will   '49  non-synchronized  angle drain plug  trans swap with a  '52ish  synchronized  horizontal drain plug trans?  the bolt pattern looks the  the same.  I looked up input shaft ,  they look the same ... any thoughts?    thanks

Okay you are replacing an NP 420 with a crash box trans?

Should bolt right up..

Why ? On this swap.

Okay the the more modern trans is what you want?

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

not having to double clutch every gear and  get  rid of the u joints.    I was hoping the sync. trans. would shift easier at least in the top gears..  ok can you  tell me what you know about this crash box trans.  not afraid to learn.   searched forum /  no comparison on both trans... am I going from bad to worst?

I believe the newer trans should bolt right up, but the u-joint will be different. So you may have to swap the output flange, or have the drive shaft modified. Or, if you can get the differential drive yolk from the same ‘52ish truck then you can use the same, newer style, joints at both ends. The newer style is readily available vs. the previous Cleveland type that are not. 

47 minutes ago, torqczar said:

not having to double clutch every gear and  get  rid of the u joints.    I was hoping the sync. trans. would shift easier at least in the top gears..  ok can you  tell me what you know about this crash box trans.  not afraid to learn.   searched forum /  no comparison on both trans... am I going from bad to worst?

Well yes nicer shifting 2nd to 4th.

But still  a truck style, no banging gears and power shifting.....lol

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

9 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I believe the newer trans should bolt right up, but the u-joint will be different. So you may have to swap the output flange, or have the drive shaft modified. Or, if you can get the differential drive yolk from the same ‘52ish truck then you can use the same, newer style, joints at both ends. The newer style is readily available vs. the previous Cleveland type that are not. 

I have driveshaft and axle  from same truck..  those ujoints are overly complicated,  happy to see them  go..