47 1/2 ton, 4BT cummins

austinsailor

Took my 99 3/4 ton Dodge to the local Cummins mechanic today. He was in a talkative mood, said " Want to see my trucks?". Sure. 

Very nice 47 with a 4BT cummins, turbo 350. One sweet swap. Sounds bad.

then, his 4wd Little Red Wagon. 6 cylinder cummins.  No picture, it was too tight in the trailer.

IMG_0652.JPG

• Like 4

Didn't see signs of much done to it. pretty slick install.  Disk brakes up front, drums in back, original rear. 55 mph top speed. Master cylinder is a late 90's dodge hydroboost power setup, just the same as on my 99 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins.

It's shorter than the original 218.

Engine weight is listed as "745 - 782 lbs w/ oil".

Wow.  That is really cool!  Thanks for posting.  Thinking about a swap for our 1941 Dodge 1 1/2 ton dump truck. But I think I’ll try it stock for a while.  Really do not think I could zip down a freeway asis but I don’t need to.

Edited by Duffy

The 4bt swap is cool, I've seen it done several times.  If you can find a 4bt BUY it...they are getting harder to find.  I don't think being 2 cylinders smaller than the 6bt they had to do much cutting of the cab...now my 6bt projects...still trying to figure how to stuff that in.