Bendix unit on 1949er starter

Deluxe_Mike

Hi folks,

first of all: I'm a complete mechanic noob :eek: . I've a technical question.

I bought a new bendix unit for the starter of my 1949 Plym. I  have to get it changed. As the package arrived I took the bendix out of the bag an a friend of mine had the great idea to pull on the front of the bendix. Now the bendix is stuck in the front position. The position in which it normally cranks the flywheel. How do I get it back in parking position? I assume that it has to be in parking position for installation in the starter. I hope that I explained well :rolleyes:.

Many thanks for your help,

MIKE

The drives can be a bit of a puzzle.   It is difficult  to get at the set screw that holds the unit to the starter shaft since it is under the spring and there are several

cir-clips holding each component on the shaft.

I do not think the position of the drive gear will prevent assembly.    It must be turned  in its direction of rotation to rethread it back to its parked position.

These are called "inertia " drives .  Motors manual  or a shop manual give complete instructions.