which carb to use

homer41

I am building a stock 218 that will have to be bored .030 or .040 over. Which carb would work best? I have a stromberg that came off the 218 or I have a Carter B&B that came off of a 201, both would have to be  rebuilt.  Opinions?    Dave

as both carbs are old, the very question to answer for yourself, which is in the better mechanical condition in regard to slop at the throttle shaft and so forth...Stromberg is usually found on a Dodge with fluid drive and has a damper your Plymouth will have n need for...verify if your Strom has this

The 201's B&B is too small.  The Srromberg is a good carb and will work well but a B&B from a Plymouth will work well too and the Kit,  A 101, is readily available.

Use the manifolding from the later engine for best performance.

• Like 1

Good thoughts, there seems to be a shade tree repair on the throttle plate shaft on the  stromberg are parts available for them. I do not know about a damper, not sure what to look for, this engine came off a truck so maybe no fluid drive. 

I have both manifolds plus the 201 manifold, both of the newer ones have an exhaust damper but not the spring operated one like the 201 has. Were the newer ones supposed to be adjusted for different operating conditions? All 3 are froze tight.   Dave

As far as I know all the plymouth carbs, from 39 on had a 1-9/16” bore. Don’t know what the Stromberg has. The dodge trucks have a 1-11/16 bore. Little bigger. 

The intake manifolds for the bigger carbs have a small chamfer on the edge where the carb bolts down. The 39 201 does not. Least mine doesn’t. 

I beleive any exhaust damper designed like your 201 has a spring. Some folks don’t care for it and disabled it by securing it open.