Discovering Great Unknown (to me) Music

keithb7

Being raised in the 70's and 80's, I missed out on some great B-Side Music. Songs that were not all over the radio for ever more.

I saw a Chet Atkins record at the thrift store for $1. Dated 1963. Called "The Guitar Genius". First song, Heartbreak Hotel. Chet's Instrumental version. Wow. Killer tone. Chet nails some epic sound here. The amp tremolo is excellent. The spring reverb is killer. His playing, so great. This song has eluded too many of us for far too long. Have a listen. The man is a great player. Played through my mid 1950's tube, mono radio console. What a pairing. Off to pour a Whiskey now and listen to it a few times again.

https://youtu.be/b7TGODlXJkY

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Being raised in the 70's and 80's, I missed out on some great B-Side Music. Songs that were not all over the radio for ever more.

I saw a Chet Atkins record at the thrift store for $1. Dated 1963. Called "The Guitar Genius". First song, Heartbreak Hotel. Chet's Instrumental version. Wow. Killer tone. Chet nails some epic sound here. The amp tremolo is excellent. The spring reverb is killer. His playing, so great. This song has eluded too many of us for far too long. Have a listen. The man is a great player. Played through my mid 1950's tube, mono radio console. What a pairing. Off to pour a Whiskey now and listen to it a few times again.

https://youtu.be/b7TGODlXJkY

Good stuff!! He played Gretsch guitars for quite some time and played Gibsons later on.. His tone was always great.. Sweet, clean sound with humbuckers and tube reverb.. Here's a Gretsch my son left with me a few months ago.. He doesn't know it but It's mine now!! :D

Gretsch Black Falcon.jpg

4 hours ago, Bingster said:

George Harrison, a big fan of the country guitarists, used his black Gretsch on the Beatles first U.S. Ed Sullivan appearance.

I liked George's guitar playing and really liked one of his idols, Carl Perkins. The kid owns two Gretsch guitars that I know of, a White Falcon and the Black Falcon he left at my place. 

I too am a Carl Perkins fan. So many great songs. Gone, Gone, Gone...Boppin' The Blues, Tennessee. My favourite might be Sure To Fall.

I've never owned a Gretsch but have had my eye out. I found an original 1950's Gretsch still with the original family. Hoping someday when they are ready, I'll get a chance.

My other non-Car hobby.... Electric Guitars and Amps.

SMDGQJ9gYiou6u2r6xVAGBAd3Tj64Kq8r22guITb