IND236 on a Speedster

Fernando Graeff

Hello everyone, i have this Chrysler industrial 236 engine my father and i plan on using on a Speedster, basically this was a combine engine with the exhaust manifold pointing upwards, and water corroded the exhaust ports and got into cylinders 3 and 6, we managed to get the valves out and make the engine spin, we also removed the oil pan, but our work stopped there, this engine was rebuild apparently not much time before it was removed, so our plan is to take the engine apart to clean it up , do a valve job, port the intake and exhaust ports , and shave the head and deck.

24813000868_4f0e987bc7_b.jpg

water damage on n°6 (the liquid there is not water)

38653284032_0398cf4b52_b.jpg

head and intake after sandblasting

38685940251_b10530b06e_b.jpg

water damage on the intake, we plan on opening this side and close the bottom, so this isn't concerning

37797916585_311e7e5588_k.jpg

the bottom end, covered in this "rusty dirt"

I already did some research and know how much i can take off the head, but i still have some questions:

-How much is safe to take out of the block?

-Is there anything i should be aware of while porting (this will be my first porting job but i have a few spare Willys blocks i can practice on)

Last but not least this engine was advertised as having 72 hp (as used in the Cockshutt 427 i think this came out of), apparently a DeSoto 236 should have around 110 hp, i suspect this is due to the camshaft used in this engine, and plan on regrind it in the future, has anyone tried to copy a isky 400jr for a Ford flathead v8 or is there any better option for the Mopar 6's?

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to talk to one of the cam re-grinders for some input.  D. Elgin cams (separate from Elgin Cam) is one.  Also, there is a cam grinder in Tacoma, WA, named Delta Camshaft, that has done cams for some guys with these engines.  There are other places, too, and maybe someone else will chime in with the names of those.

Edited by Matt Wilson

On 2/25/2018 at 8:27 PM, Fernando Graeff said:

Hello everyone, i have this Chrysler industrial 236 engine my father and i plan on using on a Speedster, basically this was a combine engine with the exhaust manifold pointing upwards, and water corroded the exhaust ports and got into cylinders 3 and 6, we managed to get the valves out and make the engine spin, we also removed the oil pan, but our work stopped there, this engine was rebuild apparently not much time before it was removed, so our plan is to take the engine apart to clean it up , do a valve job, port the intake and exhaust ports , and shave the head and deck.

24813000868_4f0e987bc7_b.jpg

water damage on n°6 (the liquid there is not water)

38653284032_0398cf4b52_b.jpg

head and intake after sandblasting

38685940251_b10530b06e_b.jpg

water damage on the intake, we plan on opening this side and close the bottom, so this isn't concerning

37797916585_311e7e5588_k.jpg

the bottom end, covered in this "rusty dirt"

I already did some research and know how much i can take off the head, but i still have some questions:

-How much is safe to take out of the block?

-Is there anything i should be aware of while porting (this will be my first porting job but i have a few spare Willys blocks i can practice on)

Last but not least this engine was advertised as having 72 hp (as used in the Cockshutt 427 i think this came out of), apparently a DeSoto 236 should have around 110 hp, i suspect this is due to the camshaft used in this engine, and plan on regrind it in the future, has anyone tried to copy a isky 400jr for a Ford flathead v8 or is there any better option for the Mopar 6's?

Either the cam duration and lift, or a "governed engine",  for the combine use. Others have used engines right off combines in cars and trucks with no issues..