1928 Chrysler 52 low compression ?

Dones475

Hello all,

Looking for some help with my 1928 Chrysler 52.

Just did a compression test and Im getting little to no pressure. Not even sure what it should be.  PO told me he put a new head gasket on so Im not sure if it needs to be redone. Other then repalcing the head gasket again maybe Im doing something wrong.

Explain a little more.

Was engine running when you acquired the car? If not how long ago did it last run?

What compression tester are you using? Are all spark plugs out? Battery in top fully charged condition?

I would think I'd like to see 75 + PSI in that engine at least. If you are doing things right, and still get 0 PSI, have you considered pulling the valve covers?

Have a look at the tappets and valve stems. Is the valvetrain moving up and down as engine is turning over? 

Edited by keithb7

All of the above offer good advice.     Compression should be about 75 lbs.

Have you tested your compression gauge ?

1 hour ago, Ricky Luke said:

Take the plugs and pour a little engine oil into the bores and redo the test with the plugs out. Unless there's a hole in the piston you should a noticeable rise in pressure.

Rick  

Definitely a good place to start.  If you can get it running afterwards, provided that the valvetrain  in it is OK, it should help re-seat the rings.

Edited by classiccarjack
Spell check changed valvetrain to Calvert... Why?