Weather vent leaking

Tac

Hello all mopar lovers.  I have a 48 Dodge deluxe. The weather door that's on the outside of car is stuck in open position I can force it down a little but still open about a inch. We have been getting alot of rain and the carpet is soaked the lever under dash is nonoperational at this time does anyone have suggestions on how to fix?

Weather door?.......have never heard the cowl vent called that in 45yrs but good to learn something every day.....now as for it being stuck I assume you have squirted some WD40 or similar onto/into the hinges that it pivots on, then get under the dash and give every linkage/pivot etc a squirt as well, also gently tap on the connecting linkages, etc.......there is also an adjustable link thats held together with a couple of small bolts.....each of the linkage has serrations that the bolts hold against each other.....undo the bolts and the join between the under dash lever and the upper hinge is disconnected see if that helps to allow it to move...........otherwise as Norman has said.........pull it all apart clean, lubricate and re install//////that way you can be sure that everything works as it should...........andyd  

Good advice above. The one thing I would add is to never use force as you will only cause damage. Lots of lubrication and gentle persuasion is what is needed. Time and patience help as well.

Edited by RobertKB

Tac...  I was fortunate that my vent bound in the closed position...  as part of car painting prep I worked in this area and found that the pivot pins that allow open/close were bound. after several rounds of various lubes..  I used a small cut-off tool to cut the pins.  I replaced with new hardware and a vent seal:  problem solved.

I think the most difficult part was getting to it...  ie. radio/bracket/etc. removal and that wasn't all that bad.....

ps...  ditto advice from robertkb....