Door window seals

JVL

I used the rope method this past time on my windshield...worked great..unfortunately a screw went rogue in the rubber and must have caught the bottom of my glass, cracking one pane....I wasn't happy...but I really wasn't happy with the fit on the rubber from Roberts..the centre section holes didn't line up at all, and the outside layer doesn't cover the  pinch weld properly.  If I had to do it again..Steele Rubber seal and then a trip to the glass shop for the change...that way if they crack the glass it's their fault..lol

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 4mula-dlx said:

......... and then a trip to the glass shop for the change...that way if they crack the glass it's their fault..lol

You might ask ahead of time if that is the official policy.  No glass place I've ever used would guarantee replacement for a piece broken in installation unless they originally provided the piece.

5 minutes ago, lonejacklarry said:

You might ask ahead of time if that is the official policy.  No glass place I've ever used would guarantee replacement for a piece broken in installation unless they originally provided the piece.

Thats the deal, I need a new piece to replace the cracked one I currently have

If I’m correct tempered glass is a bit thinner then the original side glass, so it does flop a bit in the stock size window channel.  I went tempered on one side because my power window regulator wasn’t aligned 100% and kept cracking flat glass after a day or two

laminated glass is two layers of glass with a flexable plastic layer in the middle to hold it to gather  the only tempered glass in the 1948 to 1953 dodge trucks that I know about were the cab corner windows. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gramps1951 said:

laminated glass is two layers of glass with a flexable plastic layer in the middle to hold it to gather  the only tempered glass in the 1948 to 1953 dodge trucks that I know about were the cab corner windows. 

Sounds right, I think they call the regular stuff safety glass.  If I ever do break my drivers side window, I will switch it to tempered to match the passenger, I’m sure it’s safer.  I originally had tinted side windows, made up but neither one survived the power window issues.

Tempered is not "safer".  Safety glass (lam glass) is made so when it breaks it doesn't shatter and create lots of sharp projectiles.  IMO all the glass (less the corner glass ) should be automotive safety glass (lam glass).

That is correct. Reason being, laminated glass, even when shattered, will help keep you from being ejected or limbs getting crushed hanging out in a roll over. 

Cost on a new car is a couple $ cheaper. Now, there is the reason it changed. Plus, they can make curves, etc. cheaper. 

Do do some research of you aren't a believer.

You would’t want a tempered glass windshield. A simple rock chip would shatter it instead of chipping or cracking it. The windshields on all cars, even today, are laminated. It helps to keep things from penetrating trough when hit. 

Edited by Merle Coggins

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

You would’t want a tempered glass windshield. A simple rock chip would shatter it instead of chipping or cracking it. The windshields on all cars, even today, are laminated. It helps to keep things from penetrating trough when hit. 

Strange as it may sound, many European windshields are tempered.

I brought a VW back from Germany many years ago. I'd broken the windshield in it (it was an American edition which was bought new in the states) and the only windshield available without a long wait was tempered, so I bought it.  I was sure customs would make me replace it, but they missed it.

28 minutes ago, austinsailor said:

Strange as it may sound, many European windshields are tempered.

I brought a VW back from Germany many years ago. I'd broken the windshield in it (it was an American edition which was bought new in the states) and the only windshield available without a long wait was tempered, so I bought it.  I was sure customs would make me replace it, but they missed it.

Hmmm... Interesting...

all of FEF's flat glass was lammy...

I think the thing to rememberr is lam glass won't falll into a bajjillion pieces like tempered...so safer in a crash situation.