Electricians: What Is This In My Shop?

keithb7

I recently moved. I am setting up my garage and I find this electrical box mounted on the wall. I see the cover here labled "Load Miser". TLM 40/25

n5-vPs3MeYmQpsWiNyBGnK7cRlENVaAzM9IYd2ZT

Unsure what it is, I take the cover off to have a look inside:

5JWui16vn6vlLLD07KUdxouXJxHAlXVq3aBdpFvC

It appears to be some type of large circuit breaker. 40 amp rating, I think based on the cover label. There does not seem to be anything hooked up to the output end of this breaker.

I see two sets of AC wires coming in.  Here in Canada we are running 120V 60 Hz power. Dual phase nets 240V or so.

Here is a schematic inside the cover:

kjxok89TUZOUrhQNShiXPJKIZXZvaKBFNRxQXcJ0

Is that a clothes Washer & Dryer showing as preferred loads? Behind this garage wall where this Load Miser is mounted there is a washer & dryer inside the house.

The washer & Dryer in the house work fine. I am no pro, but I don't see a load hooked up this breaker. The two wires on the left are mounted to the "Line" side. Nothing on the "Load" side on the right of the breaker.

Maybe its an old way of wiring up a washer & dryer? The breaker dumps the lighter load automatically if both are on and are close to overloading a circuit? No longer in use?

I suspect. I was hopeful it was something useful for my shop!

Edited by keithb7

this was a stopgap device for home with small incoming power panel and increased usage of appliances in later days....this managed the load and you assigned priority between the more needed utility over that of the other...the device then managed that priorities load.....read about it here.....it may no longer  be in service due to an upgrade in the available amperage breaker box/service connection   

https://www.joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/1228-Dividing-available-energy-from-your-electrical-panel

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

All right, finally a question I know something about.

Back in the day, most services were 60 amps or less.

The load miser was usually hooked up so the stove took precedence over the dryer.

Supper was more important than dry clothes. 

Not sure about elsewhere, but they were very common in Saskatchewan.

I have seen/removed many in my 30 years of electrical work.

They are no longer necessary in most applications, but they work well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1