Vacuum Advance part number? 1948 Dodge coupe

ebruns1

Hey Fellas,

Anyone have a parts book handy and could look up the number for the vacuum advance part number for a 1948 Dodge coupe with the IGS4207A1 autolite distributor please?  My parts manual is on the way and I can find the part number to order a replacement from NAPA.  Is it a universal type or custom to the Dodge for the year?  Thanks in advance!!!

My Auto-lite  book shows their part number as VC-2082R. There are two of these NOS on ebay right now. Bernbaum lists them as well. I've had great results with NOS  Auto-lite.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I must disagree with the use of NOS rubber parts. They do not live happily ever after in alcohol enriched ethanol gasoline.

Point well taken. I've probably been lucky, but the NOS vacuum chamber on my '36 Plymouth has been functioning since spring of 2009. I put another NOS chamber on the IAT distributor ('51 engine) in my '49 last spring - so far so good. I would NOT rely on an NOS or NORS fuel pump today. Both of my fuel pumps have modern, alcohol resistant diaphragms installed. The raised loop in the steel vacuum line from the carburetor is supposed to help keep liquid fuel from collecting in the line, and the line is evacuated each time the engine is started, so maybe this has helped. I just bought spare IAT-2023RG NOS chamber on ebay last week - it was too cheap to pass up -  which I plan to carry in the '49.

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I must disagree with the use of NOS rubber parts. They do not live happily ever after in alcohol enriched ethanol gasoline.

Don the poster was asking abut a vacuum advance.  So explain how the new gas is affecting the diaphragm in the vacuum advance.  This is just making pressure based on the movement of the breaker plate. No fuel is getting to the VA.  I do agree with the statement that old rubber is not compatible with the ethanol gas.

Rich Hartung

3 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Don the poster was asking abut a vacuum advance.  So explain how the new gas is affecting the diaphragm in the vacuum advance.  This is just making pressure based on the movement of the breaker plate. No fuel is getting to the VA.  I do agree with the statement that old rubber is not compatible with the ethanol gas.

Rich Hartung

Rich, The vacuum advance operates with vacuum, not pressure but the absence of pressure. Every time the engine is turned off the the vacuum is lost and atmospheric pressure replaces it. The atmospheric pressure comes from base of the carburetor and contains gasoline fumes. Over time these fumes will attack the rubber diaphragm inside the vacuum advance unit. Next time you remove your distributor take a whiff of the vacuum line connection on the advance unit and tell me what it smells like.

• Like 1

I once had an explosion in my distributor because the motor had been started and stopped several times in less than an hour. It seems enough gas fumes had leaked through the ruptured diaphragm to fill the dizzy and when I went to start it again, it blew the cap off. Scared the crap out of me. It took a while to figure out how it happened. Then it seemed pretty cool.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1